Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for hunting ,my reasons

Default Reloading for hunting ,my reasons

I do all my hunting with reloads & Cast Bullets for most of my largest cals .303brit ,30-30 ,45-70 & the dimutive .310 cadet ! By seer volume I have as a Pro Shooter always had to reload,with the exception of many moons ago when I first started shooting Water Buff (WE used .303 Brit exmil 215 rn solids supplied by our Boss ) Even now that I'm semi retired I still like the thought of having control over what is going to happen when I squeeze the trigger !Rather than rely on a automated machine pumping out millions of rounds a week !There is also the advantage of tailoring your loads to suit a given situation ie settled areas or wide open spaces !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

The 30-30 is the only rifle that i've taken a deer with factory ammo, all the others have been reloads 270, 7mm, 7.7-58, and 8mm
    Toney Relic Hunter

The only factory ammo I have shot is usually when I acquire a new gun after that it is reloads. I just love to load those little bouggers and have the self satisfaction of them going bang.
    Started reloading at about 14 with my father, we had to do it back then if we wanted to shoot. I really laugh to myself when I read on some of these websites of what you can and can't do, that won't work for you or you are really pushing the envelope if you do that. My father would try just about anything but he would never ever use to much powder, I guess I wasn't born yet when he tried that out.
    We shot cut up nails in shotguns in the late sixties and that was before steel shot and the shotgun is still around and still functional.
    Believe it or not you can rebuild your primers something I haven't seen done since dad died but it can be done. thank Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

Kodiak1,
    WECOME TO THE FORUM!!!

The ONLY time that I EVER use factory ammo is if it is in a shot gun or 22 L.R., or if it is given to me. I have NEVER bought factory ammo for something that I can reload. I use cast boolit hand loads in the 22 hornet, 223, 30/30, 35 Remington, 45/70, 303 brit and everything else that I load for. I have thought about getting a military ammo can of 223, but the price turned me around. One reason that I do not use factory ammo is that it is expensive, and if I let dad win target shoots every once in awile, he gives me all of the componets for reloading. And I do not trust factory ammo for every day hunting, because I do not know what goes in to them, and I do know what goes into my handloads.
    DANIEL/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

GunLoad Trainee

Default factory ammo is getting cheaper in Australia, but it still hurts!

Aprt from a 100 3006 rounds that I bought in my 20s (I'm 58 now) I can't remember buying any factory stuff since. I have picked up a bit here and there in trades, but the rest I reloaded.

As far as the quality goes, you would be hard pressed to improve on it, but it is more satisfying, thats for sure.

I picked up a Weatherby 240 Mag recently with a lot of factory ammo, that dates back to 1972 when the rifle was first bought. I have shot a bit of it and it is excellent stuff, but it occurs to me that I probably should sell it as collectible and use the 100 odd brass that I also got with it.
    'I'll help you down the trail and proud to' Rooster Cogburn.

Except in my Carry guns (Sig P220 and 380 Auto) I shoot nothing but hand loads. Haven't shot an animal (except for some birds) with a factory load in my life.
    krag35
    A wife and a steady job, have ruined many a good fisherman

lovedogs

What's a factory load? I didn't know factories made ammo. Or maybe I've just been making my own for so long I didn't know there was any other kind.

Quote Originally Posted by lovedogs
    What's a factory load? I didn't know factories made ammo. Or maybe I've just been making my own for so long I didn't know there was any other kind.
    I've been told by almost reliable sources that there is a section of the shooting community who are Filthy rich & their Ammo comes from a Factory somewhere ! I always thought it was the Tooth Fairy that left all those once fired cases up at our range for me to pick up !

Dave

NAAAAAHHHH ! You guys are pulling my leg... You cannot hunt with reloads..., it doesn't work.... I red that in several gun magazines....

They were some filthies at the range I was last year; they would buy their reloads at some gunshop and snob ours.... the best i could understand was that They didn't pick their filthy brass after shooting... a world of difference

kg

Quote Originally Posted by kg42
    NAAAAAHHHH ! You guys are pulling my leg... You cannot hunt with reloads..., it doesn't work.... I red that in several gun magazines....

They were some filthies at the range I was last year; they would buy their reloads at some gunshop and snob ours.... the best i could understand was that They didn't pick their filthy brass after shooting... a world of difference

kg

Bugger Ya!!!! kg ! Ya a wake up to us ! I was forgeting ya can read! Damn them Gun mag Experts ! they catch us out every tme !

As for those guys with the Fiffties ! You should be happy that they took it upon themselves to bless your range with a visit (nothing like seeing how the other half live ......We get em on our Range all the time ....strangely enough they never seem to come back ? )

As for that Filthy Brass ! I understand where their comming from ! (I personaly have a slave who picks up mine ! One does not like to appear common )

Dave ( esq)