Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fluxing your Blend!

I've seen one damp wheelweight cause an explosion of molten lead, I can't picture plunging a piece of raw potato in there.

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB
    I've seen one damp wheelweight cause an explosion of molten lead, I can't picture plunging a piece of raw potato in there.
    Causes it to bubble & spit a bit but it sure cleans the mix ! I had the misfourtune once of seeing the result of a pot of lead that was under a leaky roof when it started raining ! Fortunatly thecowner had come out of the shed to greet me as I arrived & all we heard was the karumph ! He was a lucky boy that day !He was bittern by a Tipan snake two years later & was'nt so lucky I'm a fraid to say !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Default d-o-k

Well my friend I owe you one. That is one great solution to the smoke and grope method I have been using. Potatoes eh! Umm guess I will need to steal a fork from the good wife.

Take care from Canada's Great Northwest to all of the Aussies on the board.

Stay Safe

Bob

ps If you ever run into a gal named Judy Edelston (maiden name), out of Adelaide tell her, her Canuck is alive and well!

G'day Bob ! Welcome to the site . A young lady from Adelaide aye? I live about 400kms north of Adelaide & feel that is still too close for comfort ! Got into a world of trouble there once picking up some ammo for a Mate who at that time was a Rabbit shooting Processer .I was picking up about 10,000 rnds of .22 lr plus my own gear & had parked in a loading zone out side the gun store ! I did'nt find it unusual ,the owner did'nt find it out of the ordanary But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 2 Cops walking the beat got most upset !

Dave

I can't even imagine getting something as wet as a potato even near the pot . . . Plunge it into molten lead ??

With me 3 or 4 houses down the street maybe.

I had 10 pounds of a 20 pound melt all over the walls, ceiling, bench, floor, me, all from one cold damp sprue.

I sure don't know everything but I can't see this as a wise experiment.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion."
    Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick
    I can't even imagine getting something as wet as a potato even near the pot . . . Plunge it into molten lead ??

With me 3 or 4 houses down the street maybe.

I had 10 pounds of a 20 pound melt all over the walls, ceiling, bench, floor, me, all from one cold damp sprue.

I sure don't know everything but I can't see this as a wise experiment.

Rick
    Cbrick,
    Wecome to the forum!!!
    As I sayed in my first post, my famly would go though about +5 bags of pototos in a year.
    DELBERT/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

The thing I like about these posts is that everyone is entitled to a opion . I use the potato methord & have done for years . But5 as I pointed out in my first post Fluxing is one of those things that causes much discussion

Dave

Welcome to the guide Rick
    Toney Relic Hunter

Hey Rick, It sure is a learning experience when the tinsel fairy comes to decorate your shop, isn't it? With me it was a piece of linotype I was smelting into ingots. I got a blob an inch in diameter smackdab in the middle of the left lens of my glasses. My youngest heard the boom and came running to see if I was OK. She took one look around - and it was EVERYWHERE, on my clothes the walls, the ceiling, the floor, the wood lathe, etc. - And she yells out "Mommy come see! The tinsel fairy has been in Daddy's shop and it's so beautiful!" All I got was a bad burn on my trigger finger three days before deer season opened, and the lesson of a lifetime. Safety glasses, long sleeves and pants, and check every gd piece before I toss it in the pot!
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Hey Rick, It sure is a learning experience when the tinsel fairy comes to decorate your shop, isn't it? With me it was a piece of linotype I was smelting into ingots. I got a blob an inch in diameter smackdab in the middle of the left lens of my glasses. My youngest heard the boom and came running to see if I was OK. She took one look around - and it was EVERYWHERE, on my clothes the walls, the ceiling, the floor, the wood lathe, etc. - And she yells out "Mommy come see! The tinsel fairy has been in Daddy's shop and it's so beautiful!" All I got was a bad burn on my trigger finger three days before deer season opened, and the lesson of a lifetime. Safety glasses, long sleeves and pants, and check every gd piece before I toss it in the pot!
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775