Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fluxing your Blend!

Default Fluxing your Blend!

I've Been casting around for the perfect boolit for years now (who says lead s bad for you .....I sTiLl Be QuiTe NoRmAll)& when it comes to Fluxing your Pot /Blend it seems to bring out the Alchemist in all Casters It strikes me as some Blokes would have you dance around your pot/furnace naked but painted in Pigs Blood & covered in Chicken Feathers on the Full moon muttering Viva Joe Stalin or the Like ! Before you attempt to flux ! Others will tell you Don't worry about Fluxing ! The Manuals say use a peice of Bullet lube the size of a Pea ! (I wonder what happens to you if you use a peice bigger than a Pea? )

Ok I'm going to throw my $00.02 cents worth in ! Ok first get a bucket of Pigs Blood & 1 chicken I mean . No seriously I met a chap once who had been involved in the Printing industry for years & more importantly had worked with large volumes of Lino-type ! He asked me one day how I fluxed my lead & I explained to him the process I used .He was quite taken aback that I went to so much trouble ! He pointed out he used to be in charge of ten thousand gallons of lino-type & the methord used to clean /Flux it was a Crusivel of Potatos! Yeah Spuds !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently the Starch in the Humble spud is realised & fluxs the mix to perfection! I hve been using this methord for years now & I have found it to be very effective as you do'nt get the cloud of fumes comming off that you get with other methords ! I use a hunk of spud about 2inches round on a old Barbeque Fork ! Just plunge it in a Stir it round you can get right to the bottom of your Pot & really get the Dross off the bottom & sides !It does tend to Bubble a Bit as you plunge it in ,but you should be wearing Gloves anyway (to say nothing of Eye protection ) I blend & flux in a large pot over a Gas Ring & then ladel the finnish ed product in to small cake trays to form ingots of the desired blend which go into the Furnace as required !

Dave
    All times wasted wot not spent shootin

Hey Dave You fluxing with a peace of raw patato? i,v been using wax. It's about time to cast some more 45's i'll try it
    Toney Relic Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Toney
    Hey Dave You fluxing with a peace of raw patato? i,v been using wax. It's about time to cast some more 45's i'll try it
    Yeah Mate been using it for years. It's not as messy as Wax Of Lube & it really gets the Muck out of the blend ! You only need a peice about 2inchs round ! I just normaly cut the Spud into 1/4's & use one peice!

Dave

Smile

Now we know where to get the potato salad fixings for the DNC luncheon!
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by versifier
    Now we know where to get the potato salad fixings for the DNC luncheon!
    Ya want Fries with that?

D-O-K,
    With how much my family casts, we would go though at least 5 bags of potatos a year!!!!!!! What we use is bees wax that is pressed in to coffee cans by hand, and then cut in to small pieces as it is needed. after the wax is in the pot throw in a lit match and the wax does not smoke and the fire does not hurt the pot. My dad uses a old kitchen spoon that is used for getting the soup out of the pot. He will scape the sides of the pot with the spoon, get the junk out, and then scoop it out with the spoon! It works very well, and we got a hole bunch of bees wax for free in montana, so there you go!
    DANIEL/BS JR.
    P.S. What kind of a pot do you use?

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

Bull shop I use a Lee 20lbs furnance for casting . I have a Old cast iron saucepan that holds about 40lbs of scrap lead on a lpg (propane) gas ring ,to blend & then I ladle out with (like your dad ) a soup ladel (lovingly stolen from my wife )

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by d-o-k
    Bull shop I use a Lee 20lbs furnance for casting . I have a Old cast iron saucepan that holds about 40lbs of scrap lead on a lpg (propane) gas ring ,to blend & then I ladle out with (like your dad ) a soup ladel (lovingly stolen from my wife )

Dave
    My dad only uses the "Big Spoon" for the fluxing. for making ingots he uses a Magma 90 pound production pot, and for in the house he uses a RCBS 20 pound pro melt. That is the pot the everyone uses. we have two of the RCBS. one for back up and one for every day use. the reason that we use the RCBS is that we are commercial custom casters, and do small orders, anywhere from 1 to 5000 boolits, for an order.
    DANIEL/BS JR.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

GunLoad Trainee

Default Fluxing stuff

Gentlemen:

For fluxing the melt use nothing but Olive Oil.

Put it in a squirt oil can and pump it out on top of the melt as required. When it heats up and either smokes or burns it is not objectionable at all, kind of like french-frying potatoes or something.

Good afternoon,
    Forrest

Welcome to the site Forrest ! Olive oil ? I've never heard that one before I must give it a try ! That's what I love about this site there's always something new to exchange info on !

Dan I set the Gas ring & pot up out the back & then blend & flux enough lead to keep me going for a time & then use the LEE furnace to cast from ! I doubt that I would ever come close to your Dad's volume of casting But then again at the rate that my Kids go through ammo for the .310 Cadet these days .I'm starting to wonder

Dave