Thread: encore 15" 308 loads

GunLoad Trainee

Default encore 15" 308 loads

i have just acquired a tc encore pro hunter with 15" barrel in 308 cal. i plan to work up some loads using barnes 130gr ttsx bullets.
    i have done quite a bit of rifle reloading but never anything with this short of a barrel. what powders would work best to get maximum velocity?
    are there loading charts published for this?

Welcome to the Guide ocb.

Yes, there is special data. These are the two sources I have: Sierra Manual has a section on Single Shot Pistol Data that includes the .308 (14"bbl Pachmyer Dominator) on page939. Powders are limited to these five for all bullet weights but range from H322, AA2230, 748, AA2460, to H4895. Fairly fast powders to make up for the short barrel. Lyman Reloading Handbook also has special data from a 15" Encore for a variety of different bullets (including cast) and a greater selection of powder choices for them, including some slower ones that go well in regular rifle loads. You should have one or both of these manuals in your library anyway for the wealth of information beyond charge tables contained in them.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

GunLoad Trainee

Default encore 15" 308 loads

thanks guys for the web address and names of manuals that contain some of the info i'm lookin for.
    hate to admit it but my old hornady and nosler loading manuals are probably older than tc contenders. lol

Quote Originally Posted by olcowboy View Post
    thanks guys for the web address and names of manuals that contain some of the info i'm lookin for.
    hate to admit it but my old hornady and nosler loading manuals are probably older than tc contenders. lol

I understand! my dad has two of the big military file cabnets full of reloading books, and most are over 20 years old. That is why I posted the link!

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)