Thread: Winchester '73

GunLoad Trainee

Default Winchester '73

I have an old Winchester '73 Rifle and would like to shoot it. Can I use modern ammo in it or should I use Black Powder.

Thanks
    Bill

Thumbs up

Hey Bill,

I'll leave answering your question to the experts who should be along to help you out soon.

In the mean time I just love leverguns and I am curious what caliber your Win 1873 is and what condition it's in? I would really appreciate a picture of your rifle being posted here at the forum. Thanks in advance.
    "Let each citizen remember at the moment he is offering his vote that he is not making a present or a compliment to please an individual -- or at least that he ought not so to do; but that he is executing one of the most solemn trusts in human society for which he is accountable to God and his country." --Samuel Adams

IIRC, it depends on when it was made. There's old, and then there's old. If it's post WWI I wouldn't worry about it, but I wouldn't be shooting anything hot in it because of its value.

Here's a link: http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

billo with the info you gave it would be impossible for some one here to answer if it would be safe to shoot with mordern ammo one thing fr sure get it checked by a compenent smith before you try and then use only low pressure ammo // may be limited to bp ammo only it depends when it was made and the condition of the rifle now and i'm not talkin about how pertty it looks but the condition of the barrel metal the bore and the action parts // don't take the chance or hurting yourself or ruining a fine antique by taing short cuts on this
    mule