Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 223 Rem & Whitetails

Quote Originally Posted by clubkey View Post
    I understand the limitations Mule. I do have some of the 60gr. Nosler Partitions on order and they should be here on Tuesday.

The 64gr. Winchester PP was actually a bullet I was recommended by a friend, but my Ruger Model 77 MK II is an older model with the 1 in 12 twist and I didn't think it would stabilize the longer heavier Winchester bullets with that twist rate.

Thanks for the information though cause I really appreciate it.
    I sure do.
    "Let each citizen remember at the moment he is offering his vote that he is not making a present or a compliment to please an individual -- or at least that he ought not so to do; but that he is executing one of the most solemn trusts in human society for which he is accountable to God and his country." --Samuel Adams

GunLoad Trainee

When I was a kid in Maine, I went on my first deer hunt carrying an old lever action 22 MAG, the smallest legal caliber in Maine at the time. Looking back I'm glad that all I was was rabbits. Even in the close brush we were in, where the deer would have been no more than about 25 yards away, the 22 mag wasn't enough gun.

Any legal gun CAN be used on whitetails, but as was said before just because you can doesn't mean you should.

A few years a go a friend of mine bagged a big mule deer (scored 6th in the state that year) When he got to skinning it, he found 7 or 8 .224 diameter bullets, and three .270 caliber bullets lodged under the skin. They were all several years old, and the scarring showed they had hit in the "Kill zone" but had in fact deflected off ribs.

Most anyone will say that a 270 is more than adequate for mule deer, and they would be right. It all depends on placement, range and a little bit of luck.

Stack the odds in your favor.

Well any gun will do that. We found a 50 BMG armor piercing and a 30 cal jacketed in a buffalo we got.

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

Quote Originally Posted by rtracy2001 View Post
    When I was a kid in Maine, I went on my first deer hunt carrying an old lever action 22 MAG, the smallest legal caliber in Maine at the time. Looking back I'm glad that all I was was rabbits. Even in the close brush we were in, where the deer would have been no more than about 25 yards away, the 22 mag wasn't enough gun.

Any legal gun CAN be used on whitetails, but as was said before just because you can doesn't mean you should.

A few years a go a friend of mine bagged a big mule deer (scored 6th in the state that year) When he got to skinning it, he found 7 or 8 .224 diameter bullets, and three .270 caliber bullets lodged under the skin. They were all several years old, and the scarring showed they had hit in the "Kill zone" but had in fact deflected off ribs.

Most anyone will say that a 270 is more than adequate for mule deer, and they would be right. It all depends on placement, range and a little bit of luck.

Stack the odds in your favor.
    Holy Mackerel that's like 11 - 12 bullets inside that deer and it didn't die from infections or lead poisoning and even lived for several years after until your friend finally was lucky enough to bag him and then find the bullets just under the skin.

One of us is pretty gullible, you figure out which, but just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    "Let each citizen remember at the moment he is offering his vote that he is not making a present or a compliment to please an individual -- or at least that he ought not so to do; but that he is executing one of the most solemn trusts in human society for which he is accountable to God and his country." --Samuel Adams

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by clubkey View Post
    Holy Mackerel that's like 11 - 12 bullets inside that deer and it didn't die from infections or lead poisoning and even lived for several years after until your friend finally was lucky enough to bag him and then find the bullets just under the skin.
    I can only relate what was told to me. I have no reason to doubt my source as the mount, certificate and photos of the beast all seem to corroborate the story. I have friends that are walking around with lead in them from various sources (mostly their own stupidity) and it seem to me that lead poisoning is more of a problem if you ingest, or inhale it. (I'm no expert by any means) As I recall, that was one of the driving forces when we had to switch to steel shot. It wasn't the wounded animals that were dying of lead poisoning, it was the one who picked up the shot while feeding. Or supposedly so anyway.

Every animal that I have ever shot has died of lead poisoning.........Fast!

(Reminds me of what I do to my brothers)

GunLoad Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Every animal that I have ever shot has died of lead poisoning.........Fast!
    Well, that type of lead poisoning is the way it really should be.

GunLoad Trainee

Checked with my friend today, and under pressure he cracked.

Looks like there were only two 22 call bullets, and one 270 slug in the beast.

Looks like one of these deals. . .

Hunter says "It was a 300 yard running shot"

Hunter means "I don't know how those powder burns got on the hide."

Mr. Tracy,

Being an Internet ballistics expert is a large responsibility, as you are finding out and saving face can become even more difficult. It's your story so tell it however you want, but you lost all credibility with me on your first reply in this thread.

GunLoad Trainee

I have used my savage 223/20 guage for our small white tail for years. A 55 gr Sierra hp is very effective.

PS; The weapon started life as a 222/20 guage.