Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 243 reload problem

When it comes to a small base die, I have had to improvise a few times. I had a Savage 99 in 243 that had a tight chamber, factory ammo-OK, full length sized would not chamber, needed to load NOW!!! I had a 30-06 SB die on hand, I pulled the decapper/expander rod out of it and then ran the 243 cases in the Sb die and then ran them thru the 243 Full length sizer. It accomplished the needed down sizing to make the loads we needed with out buying a 243 SB die. Eventually I did upgrade to a 243 Sb set, but we got thru with a little ingenuity.

.264 Lover

Quote Originally Posted by medman View Post
    2.710 is what is in the book. 2.59 is what it has to to seat at to load.WTF? Went back through and reseated all 40 rounds. 1:10 will not chamber. --- I put it back together and have the same results, same rounds will not fully chamber.
    You should have the rifle available before you start reloading in order to set the bullet/land clearance correctly. If you use someone's load data they developed with a lot of clearance, and your reloads end up jamming the bullets into the lands, your pressures will be higher-possibly a LOT higher.

Also, are you making sure to screw the FL die down enough so the shell holder bumps it solidly? That will compensate for the elastic spring in the press.
    "I backed up a little bit and watched the show," he said. "It looked just like TV but louder."

Witness to a train/truck collision

Thank you everyone. Ordered the SB dies and they should be here this week. Is there anything "special" about using the SB sizing die?

No, set up and use is same as for a standard full length sizing die.
    Good shooting!!!!!

Wildcat Loader

Hey I know I'm new on here but I've been loading for a few years. Hopefully you've already figured out the problem but if not try this.
    1) Make a dummy round with no primer,
    2) Try and neck size them only. (only if these are from that firearms chamber)
    3) See if just the case loads up. If so Proceed. If not try full length sizing. and repeat process.
    4) If empty case loads up seat a bullet, and take a black marker, paint the bullet and chamber the round.
    Check for rifling marks on the bullet. (marker will be rubbed off) seat bullet back till rifling marks are barely visable (if at all) Make sure they'll fit in a mag before you produce several rounds.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.
    - Robert Bloch

Not sure how you have the dies set for resizing. Make sure you get a slight roll when resizing, but probably end up getting SB Die.