Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new loads for 44 special

GunLoad Trainee

I got some Auto Comp powder and it too works very good. Maybe it's just my revolver but I can't find a powder that it doesn't shoot good. The WST works good also, but not much wiggle room. There is much more data using Auto Comp for the 44 Special and 44 magnum. The guy that I got the Auto Comp from said most people are reluctant to try the new powders out. I'm glad I have had the opportunity to try all these new to me powders. There are more than enough to choose from when it comes to the 44 Special. I have to add that so far in the 44 Special, the 5.5 gr. load of WST is shooting a little better than the Auto Comp now that I have shoot both back to back. There are still some more loads with the Auto Comp to try, so I'm not done yet.
    Last edited by TATER; 12-01-2009 at 06:16 PM.
    Amtracker 66-69 Semper Fi

GunLoad Trainee

Comparing load data requires more than just bullet weight and powder charge. Most load data is not purposely over conservative, but arrived at max pressures for some reason. It could be a difference in bullet hardness. Often it involves different bullet seating depths, especially in handgun cartridges.

When I find vastly different max loads I dig for what variable might be different. Usually it is seating depth. But in lead bullet data some data is tested with swaged bullets instead of hardcast. If I still can't resolve the difference then I would start with the lower range and see how it performs. If it seems under-powered then consider working up. But if it performs well and is accurate then why mess with something that works.

GunLoad Trainee

I know this is an old(very old) thread, but this is just what I'm looking for. I was trying find a lower pressure loads than the ones I had, and Versifier's Lee data looks like just the ticket. I am loading for a friend with sever rheumatoid arthritis, and have found the slower powders seem have less of a "snap" when the gun recoils. I've tried Red Dot, Unique, Bullseye, and IMR-4227. The 4227 did pretty good, but I think the AA#7 might be even better. If that doesn't work I might try Blue Dot next. Every year, we have to adjust his loads so he can stand the recoil. It's sad to say, but I feel I'm running out of options. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks guys.
    Jan. 4, 2007 gasoline $2.10 gal.....HMMM?

GunLoad Trainee

I settled on 8.0gr Of AA#7 to push some Lee 240gr SWC's. I didn't have enough light to use my chrony, but the accuracy was there and the recoil was beyond mild. As long as I'm over the 700fps threshold, he should be happy.
    Jan. 4, 2007 gasoline $2.10 gal.....HMMM?

jim you'll be going to a ligher boolit next.
    a 180 or so and unique.
    after that he'll have to go to the 357 and 125's.
    i have been able to go with a 160 in the 45 colt with 5 grs of clays for the same situation you are in.
    it works because of the guns weight.
    it is also much more accurate than i thought it would be [i use it to head shoot grouse when deer hunting]
    but the push instead of the crack is much easier on the arthritic hands.

GunLoad Trainee

FWIW, I've been casting and reloading since the early 80's, shooting a 44mag from the start - the reason I cast and reloaded really.

Recently, like a year or so ago, I came into possession of 2 S&W 624's, so that light load of 7g W231 in a magnum case with the Lyman 429421 to duplicate a Spl loading had to be converted to the Spl case.

I loaded a bunch of Skeeters - 7.5g Unique - and they were fine, but I experimented and settled on 6.5g W231 with the 429421 and let me tell you... they are plush to shoot. Not as harsh as a Skeeter, if a Skeeter can be called harsh. Accurate and hard hitting. I'd venture to guess that they are @ 50fps slower than a Skeeter and I do like them. I call them a "Snapper" based on the suggestions of the good folks at the S&W forum.

Try them and I'm certain you will agree. Plenty enough power for field use, accurate and more pleasant than a Skeeter.

I would never load to any data that I did not check personally right from the book, but thanks for the advice.

I melted some wheel weights into ingots about ten years ago. How can I tell how hard they are and are they probably good to make 38 bullets as is?