Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who else uses older presses?

Well...... I will soon be joining those of you who use older presses. Today I picked up a LYMAN All American Press Turret with four stations and a Star machine Works press. I have no idea of how they operate or what i will need to get them running but I understand that they are both from the 1960s. they look great and have a smooth action so I am optimistic.

GunLoad Trainee

Default old press

I use my Lyman AllAmerican quite often. It is set up for 45acp. Use a sparT for most other calibers. Had a Star set for .38 years ago. Found it difficuly to keep in tune(was used when I got it)
    Regards,
    Bill

My oldest is a CH C that is over 40 years old. If I had room on my bench would probably have a couple of old Herters. Had an early Hollywood that I traded off a number of years ago. Also have an old Latchmiller, no idea of how old, and haven't used it for quite awhile. My primary presses now are one of the early Lyman Turrets, and one of the current Lyman Turrets as of about 5 years ago. All work well.
    1Shirt!

GunLoad Trainee

I'm using my dad's Lyman "EzyLoader" from the '50s. I just loaded some 40 S&W's today. Had to buy the J to X adapters for the new shell holders. Still works great.

GunLoad Trainee

My press is a rock chucker that was bought used in 1968 and its still going strong. Its a little slower than the new modern progressive ones but still turn's out some very impressive loads. I bought a newer one but gave it to my son and still use the old one myself. It will outlast me easily and probably be passed on to my grandson who is 2 years old now and last his lifetime also. With a little care I don't believe anyone could wear one out. I like it because it's big enough to easily load from 30-378 weatherby to 9 mm ammo with no problem of running out of space to easily load. I'm not reloading for mass production I reload for accuracy in every detail possible. And this rockchucker never lets me down. I see no need to change to anything else.

New to all this

I've got one of the old wrinkle brown finished Herters O presses, a Lyman Spar-T with 6 stations, an original Lee three hole turret, and some sort of Novak press that may be for swageing, I'm not sure about that one.

GunLoad Trainee

I use a RCNS RC and prime all loads with my trusty hand primer

Default Old press

I still have my Old Lyman Spartan press, works like a champ.

Also have a Lee Load Master, though not overly impressed with it. When it was working right it was great, but that lasted about 500 rounds. Since then it has been a constant battle.

I would like to find a good used progressive, however that would be like a pig in a poke.

GunLoad Trainee

Default Hi y'all older presses??

Have an RCBS A an A2 and a 2A...couple of 2 hole Dunbars A Hollywood Senior Turret A Pacific Supermag an old Bair Kodiak and a 2 Ram Herters M-81. except for the 81 I can swage bullets with any of em.
    I have 3 sets of the old RCBS swaging dies from the 40's. Still make good bullets too. One of the Dunbars has been set up for 22 Hornet since about 1966. I have other old presses I no longer use..like the True line Jr and an EZ Loader with their weird dies. Ought to just sell 'em...but ya never know when ya might need 'em.. As old as they are they still out perform any of the newer single stage presses. Kinda hard to beat some of the new progressives though. Have a Dillon 1050 that I got at an auction..it's the cats meow for my 45 autos. Love those guns. Newbie here..cast boolits member so hadda check this site out.

GunLoad Trainee

I'm new here but thought I'd chime in too. I have an old Herters Super 9A that I use for reloading for rifle cartridges. Actually just my .308 for the time being. I still reload with my Dad occasionally on his Rock Chucker that he's had since who-knows-when. I can't remember a time when he hasn't had it. Gotta be dang near older than me.
    I just acquired a used progressive press for my pistol reloading, but it's not old enough to qualify in this discussion!!