Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beginning of a Come Back of a Reloader, Bullet Swager and Caster

Other than a BB gun the first thing I grew up on was a 410 Remington Shotgun that was my dad's. Used it for rabbit and duck hunting. Not to pat myself on the back but after so many years I was damn good with it. Bought the wrong shells for it once on a duck hunt when I was 15. Every shell jammed and had to be manually pulled from the chamber. I had 13 shells. Dropped 11 ducks and brought 9 back to the camp. Not a bad day shooting as a single shot in 410ga. One was even a high flying canvasback.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Thumbs up

Interesting armyrat...

From what all I've heard and learned, a .410 is a danged tough scatter gun to bring home the goose with, much less get proficient, and successful...

Tell us more, if you'd care to?
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

Thumbs up Update Time!

Hey guys, it's been a while, but believe it or not I've made some serious progress on my Reloading Room out in my barn...

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AU...1tcHRoZg&hl=en

I got the stud wall built, meanwhile I had realized I'd over looked something hugely important, and that was electrical outlets!

Anyway the link has the new pics that I added to my Google Document... It's a fairly large document so scroll down to the bottom, it'll take a while.

If you folks think I should perhaps add a second page, I'm sure that it'd be no problem... Any opinions would be welcome.
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

JJB

Default very nice!!

you are right a guy needs plenty of outlets........... i wish my loading room had more electric.......................................... .................

LIFE IS SHORT.....

i have only 3 outlets in my reloading room.
    i put little color bands on all the plugs and a corresponding sticker on the appliance so i can plug in the correct thing.
    it sucks, but it works.power strips are okay but are only usually rated for 15 amps and is better than plugging in and unplugging everything.
    my f.i.l. has some cool power strips that are about 10' long but he can't remember where he got them.

Wiremold makes very good hardwired power strips, you can get them at your local electrical supply store. You cut them to length, and there are fitting to go around corners, etc. Most home circuits are 15A, run with 14ga wire. (It is not smart to stick the #14 feed into a 20A breaker, even if you have good fire insurance.) If you want to run 20A, you need to feed it from the panel with 12/2. It's not uncommon to do that in a modern shop, sometimes with several outlet circuits and specific machines on their own dedicated circuits. I can't imagine you'd need anything more than one 15A line to a reloading room for lights, tumbler, casting pots, etc., unless you have an electric heater, a/c, or dehumidifier (if so, run a dedicated line for it).
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Thumbs up

F.W.I.W, I noticed that the existing wiring in the barn, and I *HOPE* that the buried wiring feeding the barn is 12/2 wire. Same as I bought and used for my wiring the lights and the receptacles...

Versifier, I won't be using an air conditioner, that's for sure, I simply don't need one this far north, for more than a few weeks in either July or August...

I used the 12/2 simply because that's the better material to use. Even with that excellent wire feeding my barn, when ever I turn on my Milwaukee hand drill, or a radial arm saw, a table saw, or a power circular saw, the lights dim... I get that much attenuation due to the length of the feed from the house... one thing I did see after my wife and I bought this place, is that the panel is only a 100 amp box. UGH!

I don't have the money to change it to a proper 200 amp service, for now...
    Last edited by Jim_Fleming; 11-02-2009 at 02:21 AM.
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

Thumbs up

Thanks JJB

Quote Originally Posted by JJB2 View Post
    you are right a guy needs plenty of outlets........... i wish my loading room had more electric.......................................... .................

LIFE IS SHORT.....
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

Thumbs up Update Time!

Folks, I've been VERY REMISS in keeping this thread updated, however, I have great news to report...

The Bench and the Wall, are essentially done!!! I'm down to getting the final coat of paint on the larger areas applied.

The Google Document that I was using to keep things updated, grew so large that I finally had to make two documents. Please forgive any inconvenience that may cause?

Reloading Room 01

Reloading Room 02

Now all I have to do is reassemble the shelves as per Reloading Room 02 document, and apply the sheet material to the shelves and it'll be time to start
    setting up my presses! YAY!!!!!!!!
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

Thumbs up Update Time!

After I get the Bench Painted, and the shelves covered, etc., with the sheet vinyl material, and everything all cleaned up, you get the idea, I'm going to post a final photo directly here on Cast Boolits.

I don't wish to burden Cast Boolits with a lot of bandwidth sucking images, that I freely put over on Google... LOL!

Thanks to all of you that both read this, and especially to those good folks that have contributed!

Now I want to impose even further on you good people... I need some advice as to how you'd set up the bench. I have room for at least two presses to be permanently setup, my Lee Turret Press, and my Dillon RL550, but I also am going to be doing casting and I intend to setup a swaging system that I have from years back.

Please help if you can?
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member