Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beginning of a Come Back of a Reloader, Bullet Swager and Caster

jim where are you gonna store your boolits and loaded ammo?

Thumbs up

The cast boolits, and the swaged bullets are going to be on the shelves in the cabinet with four shelves, (12" CTC distance between shelves) along with the empty brass cases... Those shelves are just about a perfect match for a three (3) pound coffee can which I use to store bulk boolits, bullets, and brass.

The ammo will be in the cabinet with the sixteen (16) in CTC (three (3) shelves in it, probably stacked in either MTM ammo boxes, or perhaps in bulk (coffee cans) containers...

A lot of my tools and such will be on the shelves of the bench that you've no doubt seen over the back of the designed bench.

Why do you ask?
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

i was just kinda wondering cause if your like me.
    you are gonna need another shelf,I was thinking you might wanna plan the expansion as you go....

Thumbs up

You're exactly right... I did plan that way, and when I saw the National Reloading Manufacturers Association plans for a reloading bench, I realized that I was wasting a whole wall... Right in front of my nose, so to speak... That would be the back-wall of the bench itself! The NRMA.pdf plans show lots of little shelves and a nice little cubby hole for my scales, etc...

Here runfiverun, I'll post a link to the PDF of the NMRA bench_plans.pdf:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...MGM3OTE1&hl=en

(The board wouldn't let me upload the file. Which is why the post isn't the same as the copy you got in your email message notifying you as to the new post in this thread.)

The actual bench isn't going to be as pretty or as costly as the plans in this bench_plans.pdf file call for, but the bench will serve me, well, I'm sure... Feel free to steal yourself or anyone else out there a copy of it. I got it for free, I'm certainly not gonna keep it a secret.

I do have a problem, however... I need to get some .270 ammo worked up right away, with some 90 Sierra HPBT... There are a few coyotes around here that're getting my attention and I just might wanna perforate their hide(s) for them... LOL! I've always love varmint hunting best of all... GASP! Did I really write that? Yeah, I'd much rather shoot a ground hog/woodchuck at 400 yards than a nice 8 point at 100 yards. It's better shooting! Period! LOL!

I have an existing bench, (it's the plain brown box to the right in the design, I think tomorrow night, I'm gonna set up a quick temporary fix and whip up a few test loads for them 90 grainers...
    Last edited by Jim_Fleming; 09-22-2009 at 02:07 AM.
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

i like that, it definately got saved.
    i have to actually remoe a rokchuker or two to run off shotgun shells now.
    not a big deal as it's an easy swap and i can make a pile of shotshells on the ponsess in a couple of days.
    i hae set my stuff up so there is a flow to the room, from left to right or back to front.
    it saves mistakes when you move from step to step.

Thumbs up

Thanks, and you're quite welcome...

I've never reloaded scattergun, period... However, in this political environment, I've been seriously considering buying either a Lee Loader, or a MEC Loader, "entry level" shot shell loader, so as to be able to cover more ground if needed...

I'm not going to spend a lot of money on one, period, but from what I've learned and seen either one of those loading setups can load hundreds of thousands of rounds...

Just more food for thought... Especially when you consider the fact that I don't even own any kind of a shotgun...
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

the mec's do pretty good but i don't like their sizing.fine for low brass, but not for high like 3" hunting hulls.
    or even the federal target loads.
    there is another whole world out there when it comes to shotshells.

Thumbs up

So I understand...

I've never, ever, been much of a shotgunner, by any stretch of the imagination...

If and when I do buy a set up, it'll likely be a MEC, or Lee, only because I think so little of shotgunning, I can't justify the cost of a more premium setup...

Don't get me wrong, I know that I'm writing heresy, but I just honestly don't see what folks get all wrapped up about, putting a fine old gun to the shoulder (that has the recoil of a .30-06, no less!) lighting off a round and only getting a grouse, turkey, crow, rabbit, pheasant, etc. with all that expended effort, when they could do the same thing with a single shot of a .22 RF round...

I guess I just never had it explained or taught to me...

I sort of wish I could see the magic, but I never had anyone that could teach me, and trust me, I'm still willing to learn...
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

it's pretty hard to hit a blue grouse flying behind a tree with a 22.
    or even a duck doing 50 mph with one....
    some people like it and some don't.
    but thats the nice thing about reloading the shotguns, is you can make them do what you want them to do.
    i started my kids out with 12 guages when they were young [6-7] and with the reloads i gave them they could hit a target without much recoil,and good pattern density.
    unlike the unforgiving 410.
    shotgunning is about fit of the gun and pointing ability,your eye is the rear sight and the target is the front sight [i remove the bead from my hunting guns]
    it's just that simple, you need to shoot where the target is gonna be when your shot gets there.

Thumbs up

you're exactly right about everything you posted...

I've never had the time to chase wild birds with a Scatter Gun... I've also never had lessons... I've also never had anyone that could teach...

Enough of my damn sniveling...!

Sure I'd like to try, but I guess I'll have to find some sort of clay pigeon range that'll rent me a gun so I can break clay birds etc., until I can get some sort of idea as to what I'm doing... etc...

I've heard that line about the human eye being the rear sight... before...

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it's pretty hard to hit a blue grouse flying behind a tree with a 22.
    or even a duck doing 50 mph with one....
    some people like it and some don't.
    but thats the nice thing about reloading the shotguns, is you can make them do what you want them to do.
    i started my kids out with 12 guages when they were young [6-7] and with the reloads i gave them they could hit a target without much recoil,and good pattern density.
    unlike the unforgiving 410.
    shotgunning is about fit of the gun and pointing ability,your eye is the rear sight and the target is the front sight [i remove the bead from my hunting guns]
    it's just that simple, you need to shoot where the target is gonna be when your shot gets there.
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member