Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beginning of a Come Back of a Reloader, Bullet Swager and Caster

Default The Beginning of a Come Back of a Reloader, Bullet Swager and Caster

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my beginning of a comeback to my beloved Hobby, with everyone, especially you newcomers, beginners, experts, and each and everyone of you that might be interested in seeing how I attempt my comeback to Reloading, Bullet Swaging, and Casting Bullets, aka Boolits. :drinks:

I don't know for sure if this is the correct place to post it, or even if it's appropriate.

I invite All Moderators to move this into a place that it might be more appropriate if needed, or into a forum, that might get more and better 'publicity' as might suit the needs of the Board better...

There are going to be MANY photos in this Article, but I'm going to use Google to host the actual document to save the bandwidth of the board.

Anyway here's the link to the photos I've taken so far:

Jim's Junky Darned Mess!

Not much to see at the moment I'm in the midst of designing a BIG storage cabinet for this room. Once I get the design done, I'll post it to the Google document and update this thread, etc. Then as I start actually driving screws and cutting lumber I'll take pix as needed and appropriate, upload them, and mention up dates here.

I'm going to post this over in Reloading General as well. I hope you guys enjoy this, and PLEASE feel free to kibitz, chime in and give advice... Hee, Hee, as if I could or would stop y'all...
    Jim Fleming

I will bleed, Red, White & Blue forever.

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the interest, guys, and thanks for all the support. I didn't get much done today, very little in fact... The wife asked me to take her to supper, and all that.

I doubt if I get much done this coming weekend, I have to work 0700 - 1900 both Sat. & Sunday...

More later,
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

Default Update Time!

Hello Folks, it's update time.

I finally got the drawing done using Google's Sketchup 3D Modeling program.

Down below the initial pictures you'll see the new images of the actual drawing of my 96x48x24 Storage Cabinet. You newcomers are going to "Ask why so big?" The old timers can tell you, you're going to need it.

In the upper/earlier pix I have some rugged looking crates, that're full of brass, bullets, lead, my reloading tools, and what not...

Jim's Reloading Room

There's the link to take a fresh looky see...

I like using SketchUp because it's as close as one can get to actually doing the work, i.e. cutting, sawing, and fitting the parts, without making a real mess... I think of it sort of along the old saying, "Measure twice, cut once!" Everything in this drawing and model has been measured closely

I didn't add a lot of dimensions because they'll cause problems with clarity when I print it. Most of the info is in my head, and I'll using the drawing to refresh my memory.

As I was making the model and parts, I've been able to foresee the problems and work around them, to the best of my ability. This should be strong, reasonably light, be able to support a few thousand rounds, several thousand cases, and lots and lots of Cast Boolits! :castmine: along with a lot of jacketed blue pills too!

Speaking of the weight, there are about 5 sheets of OSB, that I'm going to use to make this, some 2x2's, drywall screws, and that's about it. Yes, you're going to say that 5 sheets of OSB is too much for one person to handle and toss around, but I'm going to have help standing it up after I build it, unless I build it up in the upright position.

If perchance anyone is interested in seeing the actual model, feel free to ask! I love to share this info!!!
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

jim: i went to two metal shelves 4'w x6'h and 1' deep one for loaded ammo and one just for boolita/bullets to be loaded.
    brass goes in plastic flip top boxes labeled for each gun stacked on shelves. above the top of the loading bench. and new "to be used" brass on top of the bullet shelf.
    powder goes in a separate shelf 4x4x1 [wish it were a bit bigger].
    and primers go in a two door cabinet.
    easy to see inventory this way.

Thumbs up

Agreed, the heavier stuff will have to go on to the lower shelves, the powder, brass, and primers will go on the upper shelves, that makes total sense.

As you have seen that lowest shelf is 24 inches above the 'floor' of the cabinet. For taller stuff, etc., if need be I can easily add another shelf to keep things on 12" in. centers.

The wife has suggested that I add casters, but I don't think I should, because the casters'll concentrate all the load on four pressure points. Besides the other point is I intend to fasten the cabinet to the beams that're going to be behind and along side of the cabinet. Thereby removing any chance of moving the cabinet(s). (if I build a second one I mean)
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

definately bolt the cabinet to the wall.
    it's amazing how a shelf will lean or slump with reloading supplies on it.
    i am not sure how much weight is on mine but there are several boxes that weigh 100+ lbs full of cast boolits.

Thumbs up

If I need to, to make more stronger shelves, I can always put a vertical piece of OSB, under each one of the shelves, extending down to the 'floor' of the cabinet, creating a sort of a ---> T <--- under each and every shelf, ya know what I mean...? there by reducing the effective loaded area to 24x24 rather than 48x24.

Yes, the bullets will definitely be on the bottom shelves, if not on the floor. The powder, primers and stuff on top shelves, and the loaded ammo and tools, etc. in the middle area...

Hey, everyone that reads this!!!

Please feel free to chime in...

hee hee!
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

Thumbs up Update Time!

Hello again, everyone.

Tonight I managed to get the back and two sides built of the storage cabinet. Only the 2x2's are attached to the sheets of OSB.

I didn't bother taking pix, just yet, for two reasons, 1 because nothing much really has been put together. :bigsmyl2:

and 2 because I forgot to take them...

I'll get more done tomorrow, and will try and remember the photos of my assembling the storage cabinet.

Have a good night, folks.
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

Thumbs up Update Time!

More pix tonight, folks:

2x4x8 Storage Cabinet

I did manage some progress today. The back, the sides, the top, and the bottom are all attached. And the whole thing is standing upright.

I was surprised at how light weight the whole thing is, so far...

More later.
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member

Thumbs up Update Time!

Here's the link to the latest photos, and revisions...

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AU...1tcHRoZg&hl=en

Now all I have to do is 'place' the cabinets, then I can start designing my workbench/reloading bench...
    Jim Fleming

USAFR (Retired)
    NRA Life Member
    VFW Life Member