Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 700X in the 45LC?

Welcome to the guide Jim
    Toney Relic Hunter

Hi FAsmus

I would like the 700X a lot if it were more regular in my LEE measures.
    In 9mm it is quite annoying as I will have FTEs and stovepipes despite visual inspection of what I believe is every case... maybe it's the Llama's fault...
    Anyways I don't recommend it for small cases if you want to autodisk the loads; or don't have time to check and correct them.
    The flakes bridge/jam/choke in/before the smaller disk cavities, which is frequent with flake powders.

Well me I only have four pounds of it .....

I tried it in 45auto and 44 cowboy (mag cases), and found that I still had irregular loads despite the higher volume of powder. At least the guns didn't choke on their pills...
    Note that the regular diet of the 44 is a slower but similar flake powder (SP83~Herco); loads irregularity is less of a problem then :1/2 gr max out of 9 of SP83 I think.
    ( I can't find my notes on the measure checks and loads at the time, sorry...that's embarrassing...)

This being said this is the kind of powder I like: fast, fluffy and economic. Ball powders which disappear in the bottom of cases make me very nervous.
    I would use 700X more if I didn't have pet loads with other powders.

kg
    Last edited by kg42; 12-11-2005 at 02:49 AM.

I'd say you're very lucky to have acquired 4 pounds of 700X, its a darn good fairly fast burning powder...just use it in a good powder measure like a RCBS Uniflow or a Dillon slide-bar measure.

I have both and either one will measure the flake powders quite well.

Not to knock your Lee powder measure but been there, done that, and I know your pain with it. I never liked Lee PM because they use a standard of grain readings that are outside of industry standards. Don't like reading conversion sheets to arrive at a proper reading.

My supply of 700X is practically nil, as I use so many other types that are more case filling if possible for the .44 and .45 Colt cartridges.

Jim

GunLoad Trainee

Default 700X in .45ACP

I bought a 12 lb. keg when 700X was made by Dupont, and am still using it. I replaced Bullseye in both .45 ACP and .38 special for target cast bullet wadcutter loads. (Both guns are Clark long slide conversions). I like its greater bulk than Bullseye, particular in the .38 case. Also noted that it is cleaner burning. I currently use:

.38 special 2.8 grains 700-X with H&G 50, 148 grain wadcutter.
    .45 ACP 4.0 grains 700-X with H&G 68, 200 grain wadcutter.

I was using 3.5 grains in .45 ACP, very accurate & mild. With advancing age, I had to put a red dot scope on my guns and occasionally ejected cases would get caught between the scope mount and slide. A snappier action with 4.0 grains solved this problem.

I use a Dillon 550, and don't have a problem with charge weight variation. For manual charging, I previously used a Belding & Mull measure, also OK with 700-X.
    Last edited by BigCheese; 12-11-2005 at 03:12 PM.

Welcome to the guide BigCheese
    Toney Relic Hunter