Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handguns at 100yds and more anyone?

Default Handguns at 100yds and more anyone?

Just got back from a great afternoon at the range. The range is a private one at my friend's farm and we had someone new visiting today. He had never fired a handgun at a target beyond 50yds. His eyes bugged out when I started hitting the 100yd gong with my 10" .30carb Contender, then his jaw dropped when we switched to our carry guns and .22's. It took him three shots to get his 9mm's elevation figured out at that range then he burned through three boxes he liked it so much. From the fanatical look in his eyes I guess we have a new shooting buddy. He does have some good stories, too, retired state trooper.

The reason I'm posting this is because he said he had never heard of anyone who shot anything besides hunting revolvers at longer ranges, but mostly he just shot qualifications with the other cops at 25yds and less. I told him that if we had 200yds I would have been shooting that. Thinking back, the only folks besides me and my close friends that shot at 50yds and beyond at the old club all shot big revolvers and single shots.

Does anyone else shoot at 100yds or more with your regular handguns?
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

I have shot my 357 at 100 yds but with my eye sight it was not a pretty sight. I could hit the target but the grouping looked like a shotgun pattern.

Dog alone knows what kind of groups we would get. At 100yds we have a 12" round gong and for the more challenged, a 24" square one. And we have a bunch of those self-healing balls and squares hanging here and there too. I have come to love reactive targets for practice. These days we only use paper for sighting in and load testing. With its favorite cast load my .30carb will stay MOA @100 if I rest it, but that and other Contender barrels are the only ones I have actually shot groups with out there. The carry guns get tested at 25, then we shoot a few targets @50 to make sure they all stay on the paper. Once their loads are decided on it's all reactive targets and various distances. If timing works out this year we can get you over there this summer and you can shoot some of the more interesting things in our collections like the K31 and the .30/223 and whatever you want to bring.
    "Stand your ground.

Beautiful Downtown South Carolina Where the Frenchies all hang out

I watched RobDW hit the 200 yrd gong at the first RLB in Maine
    He was using a 380
    I think it was a keltec but I'm not 100% sure
    Camper at RLB Fest 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010 and 2012
    Hosted 2011 in New Hampsha ya I did
    Proud owner of a 264RLB #4

I never got into shooting more than 50 yards with a handgun. I used my S&W29 44mag to mess around at 100 yards already.

I heard skykid could hit the inside of the barn with the doors closed but it took some practice.
    -----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Rob hit the 12" gong a 100 yards. I know I was his spotter and it was my gun, I was calling in the shots like artillery. Once he "got range" he was hitting better that 50%.

Skykid, remember my 12" 100yd group with crappy china ammo with a Beretta 92? And then I shot that woodchuck at 50 yds right after with it?

Vers, I have shot 2 liter water bottles @ 200 yds with a FA 454, open sights, after I "got range" on it. Hitting 75% at that range.

As a kid, during the winter I would close up a paper grocery bag as puffy as I could get it and let the wind blow it down the field on the icy crust.
    Shooting it full of holes with a 38, adjusting front sight higher in the notch as the bag got further away 100+ yards. Elmer Kieth inspired!

I won (but I threw it to the youngest kid and let him win) the 50 yard 22 RIFLE clay shoot competition at the RLB in Indiana. I was using a S&W Model 17 revolver in the double action mode, with open sights. Tony45 was my spotter.

So Vers, the answer is YES!
    Last edited by Clayt; 05-08-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    ~Clayt

hunter at large

I had a pleasant surprise at the range today. At 60 yards there is now a 6x10 cutout from an "unknown armored something housing" of some 5/8 super hard steel with a single hole to hang it from. I suspect it may have come from the coast, someone invited to shoot there brought it as a gift. When hit with .22's it makes a plinking sound. When hit with .30carbs it rings like a ship's bell, and the sound of it bounces off the trees across the pasture and echoes back at you. I'm betting it can handle jacketed rifle bullets no problem, but I'd want to move it out to maximum range for safety with them. It is perfect for cast rifle bullets and any handgun bullet as is. There's no doubt when you miss the thing either though. We fired about 200 rounds at that and the other gongs. It's amazing how much a couple of hours of shooting can reduce your stress level. You have to be able to relax to shoot well offhand, rifle or handgun.
    "Stand your ground.

Vers, is there a way to make an offset mount for it? Give it 5-10 degree downward pitch to throw things to the ground?
    -----
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Probably. I'm sure one of us will hit the paracord it's hanging from soonly and we'll figure a good way to hang it safely.
    "Stand your ground.

Beautiful Downtown South Carolina Where the Frenchies all hang out

HellRazor you give me way too much credit on my shooting abilities
    Camper at RLB Fest 2006,2007,2008,2009,2010 and 2012
    Hosted 2011 in New Hampsha ya I did
    Proud owner of a 264RLB #4