Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8mm-06 loads

new-not brand new!

Default 8mm-06 loads

just started loading for 8-06 and find very little published info for data-I understand that wildcats won't have much factory data and I'm thinking that 30-06 starting loads for same bullet weight would be safe as starting loads in the 8mm-06-Anyone agree!!!
    cowboyt

No, I do not agree. Not unless you have a chronograph and know how to mic case heads (or plan on shooting only cast bullets). Get yourself a Sierra Manual. It has loads for 150 and 175gr bullets, and that's a good place to start. Lee and Lyman manuals don't list it, and I find nothing at Accurate, Hodgedon, IMR, or Alliant websites. I do not have copies of Hornady, Nosler, Speer manuals, but if anyone else does, I'm sure they'll chime in.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

new-not brand new!

I have sierra,speer,hornaday manuals and have looked at the Nosler manual - all seem to agree with me when I check recommened loads for the 8mm-06 and then look at loads for 30-06-all seem to fall into my line of thinking!- the case capasities of both are the same and when using slugs of the same weight the only difference will be the amount of bearing suface ingageing the bore(which I believe is minimal),so therefore I conclude that starting loads for the 06 can be used for the 8mm-06.

ok

The 1980 Speer Manual 8mm/06 gives 150grain, 170grain,and 200 grain loading for 0.323 dia bullets if this is any help. reg's

Starting loads may be safe, maybe not. I am not saying you are wrong in this specific situation, but I am saying that just assuming is not a safe way to go about it unless you have some way to double check what is happening in the chamber. It would be totally irresponsible for me, in a public forum like this, to advocate such a questionable practice. While it might indeed be enough for an experienced wildcatter to go by, many with minimal experience will read these postings and I cannot leave anyone with the dangerous impression that it is safe to go sailing off into uncharted waters running on assumptions.

By using a chrono to make sure that the velocity stays within predictable limits as the charges increase, and by micing the cases to know for sure when the case heads begin to show real pressure signs are the only safe ways for a handloader without access to a ballistics lab to procced when adequate data is not available. That's how it works with wildcats. While the case capacities are the same, the friction coefficients of the bullets are not, the pressures will be higher with larger diameter bullets of the same weight (more bearing surface - you can never be sure of how much higher), and one really can't depend on watching the primers as a warning sign when you're off the map. It's one thing to work within tested limits to see where the rifle's max is on published charge tables and watch the primers there because you know that even if the load is a bit hotter than the rifle likes, you're not needing to worry about pressure spikes.

But, the 8mm-06 has been in use for around 50 years, and with some patience, you should be able to come up with quite a bit of safe, tested data. I would begin by contacting Nosler, Hornady, Alliant, and Hodgedon/IMR directly and ask them for specific data - they will have it on file even if they aren't currently publishing it. You can ask here: http://reloadbench.com/ Also, there have been lots of articles written about the round and loading for it over the years, and again, with a little patience and some time researching, you can find enough info to point you safely in the right direction.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

new-not brand new!

To "ancestor" close to down under. Yes some mfg. do list the 8mm-06 - but with only their bullets and you'll notice only a few of the popular powders available, Do I need a can of every propellent ? NO what I'm saying is that I can work up loads based on 30-06 starting load data in the 8mm-o6 that will not be on the high side of the package . To "Versifier" I understand you're concernes about all else you reads this, but IF you look at .270 win-30-06 spfg. - 338-06 and .35 whealan you will see a corralation of data with many different powders to given projectile weights'. to be on the concervitive side I said 30-06 starting loads! And I don't think thats wrong--think about it Wildcatters wouldn't exsiist if know one experimented!!!!

cowboyt

GunLoad Trainee

You also have to be very aware of the action you are using. If it's 98 Mauser that's one thing. A Turk Mauser like I have based on the '95 is another, a weaker action. Most of these are rechambered Mausers of one type or another. If you have a '93 or '95 Mauser be very careful of how hot you go. I know Sierra's data was shot in a '98 Mauser.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

GunLoad Trainee

But, the 8mm-06 has been in use for around 50 years, and with some patience, you should be able to come up with quite a bit of safe, tested data. I would begin by contacting Nosler, Hornady, Alliant, and Hodgedon/IMR directly and ask them for specific data - they will have it on file even if they aren't currently publishing it. You can ask here: http://reloadbench.com/ Also, there have been lots of articles written about the round and loading for it over the years, and again, with a little patience and some time researching, you can find enough info to point you safely in the right direction.

Versifier is trying to keep you from blowing yourself and those around you up. Just get as much information on that cartridge as you are able. have fun and be safe.

Mike
    owoo..! I hate earth wobble

<a href="https://www.google.com/">google</a>&nbsp;
    https://www.google.com/
    google