Thread: Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special

GunLoad Trainee

Default Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special

How many of you have received your Lipsey's .44 Special Blackhawk?
    How does it shoot for you? Just received mine not too long ago and due to job and family just haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. What loads are you using and have you found any problems with yours yet? Only problem I've found is that after market grips just don't fit very well first time.

Mike

the grips for rugers have to be fitted to each gun sometimes it's just a bit of filing on the edge or a flat.
    i have only seen the results of one being shot and it was impressive. i would love to have one, but if i don't get one i'll go back to plan -a .and have the old 41 i bought to have made into a 44 special.

GunLoad Trainee

I got one in 4 5/8 . I found the tried and true load of 7.5GR. Unique with 240 SWC to still be a good load for the 44 special but not as good as it works in my 44 mag 629 with 8 3/8 tube. But I did find some other loads that worked really good. 6.3 gr. of 231 with a 215 gr SWC was one hole groups. The best for me was 9.9 gr. of AA#5 with 210 J.H.P, either WW Silvertips or the Sierra 210 J.H.P.. These are +P loads but mellow in the Ruger. I tried some hotter loads, but I already have a 44 Mag. so why take the beating. The more I shoot this Ruger the better I like it. I also tried 6.3 gr. of 231 with the 240SWC and that too was good. 7 gr. of Unique with the 200 gr.SWC was also a good one. I would say to stay in the mid range loads 800-1000 fps. Again, I have never used AA#5 before and it was impressive. I'm going to try more loads with this powder. Just another update: Got back from another shoot and 8.8 gr. of Unique with the 210 JHP was just as accurate as 9.9gr. of AA#5 with the 210 JHP. The Unique was 1000+ FPS and the AA#5 was around 950 FPS and felt a little softer. I couldn't really find a load that was real mild that was accurate too. Maybe Bulls-eye powder would work but I don't ever use the stuff myself.
    Last edited by TATER; 06-12-2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: more information for the Ruger Blackhawk
    Amtracker 66-69 Semper Fi

GunLoad Trainee

Just another update for the 44 Special Blackhawk. I tried some hotter loads and the pin that holds the rear sight on started to drift out of it's intended position. After I re-centered it and then got home, I placed a drop of blue loc-tite on either side of the pin. Hope this works.
    Amtracker 66-69 Semper Fi

GunLoad Trainee

Not sure if my .44spl is a Lipseys but I have the 5 1/2" Bisley Flat Top. I got it with a bent front sight. I sent it back to Ruger and they rebarreled it for free.
    Since then I have found its majic load using my casted 260gr Keith style boolit with either 9.3gr of HS-6 or 10.0gr HS-6. Either load shoots really well.

Wise

I don't have one yet with emphasis on the "yet". However my go to load in anything .44 Spl. is Skeeter Skelton's pet load, 7.5 gr. of Unique and the Lyman #429241, Elmer Keith's bullet. It's a tackdriver in my S&W 624 and if I ever shoot my third generaton Colt single action, that's the load I'll use. If and when I do get the Ruger, I want the 4 5/8 inch barrel.
    FWIW, that Colt is NIB, has never been fired not has the cylinder been turned. Yes, I do like the .44 Spl. I also have a hollow point mold that makes a clone of the #429241 that makes a nice looking bullet. I just haven't had time to load any up and shoot them.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

GunLoad Trainee

Unfortunately I didn't have any good grouping with the Skeeter loads.
    "In God We Trust"
    BIG BORE Revolver Nut
    Boolit Caster

i did get mine, the wife actually ordered the blued, stainless, and bisley.
    i sarcasticly said what no 45?
    the 4-5/8th's 45 colt/45 acp in blue come too.
    using 7.2 grs of unique and the 429241 the 44's are nice.
    i do have to send the stainlesses cylinder off to have the throats honed though.
    the blued are actually dead on.
    the 45 uses the 454424 with 8.5 grs of unique and is quite a handfull with the small grips.
    definately shootable though.
    the 44 bisley got put away for littlegirl with only a measure of the cyl. throats and bbl taken.

Wise

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Unfortunately I didn't have any good grouping with the Skeeter loads.
    Wow, that is a surprise. It's worked very well in every .44 Spl. I've shot it in and as a light load in several .44 mags. I haven't tried a bullet from a new to me mold I got a while back, altough the bullets are case, lube and sized and ready to load but they're from an SAECO mold that is a clone of Elmer's bullet that someone had converted to make hollowpoint bullets. Clever idea that once I figured out the best was to work it made some pretty nice bullets. A friend found it and asked for what he paid for it plus shipping and it's appears to be some of the best $50.00 I ever spent. Now all I have to do is load some up and shoot them. I'll be trying them in the .44 mag. as well.
    It took a while to chase this down but apparently this is the outfit that converted my mold.

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

All I can say it that it works quite well. I found that with my mold, once it is casting well and properly warmed up, if you twist it upside down after knocking off the sprue and tapping the joint of he handles, the bullets will usually drop right off the pins. Doing it that way gave me a reasonably fast production rate.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.