Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7mm/08 Load

Like I said I think that the 7-08 is a great cartridge & rifle combo and Ballistic tips are wicked killers. You just have to be mindfull of shot placement. By the the way we call our model 7 "The PITBULL"

GunLoad Trainee

We have two Remington model 7's in 7mm-08. Both rifles get Barnes 120 gr. TSX over 44 grs. of RL-15 in Winchester cases wirh Federal LR match primers. These are early rifles with the 18 1/2" barrels, and this has been a very effective load in these guns.

GunLoad Trainee

I have experienced good accuracy and performance from the 140 Nosler Ballistic Tip in 7mm-08, but my Savage 200 groups even tighter with the 140 gr Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip. That bullet over a max charge of RL-15 as listed in the Nosler load data bang-flops the deer bigtime. I call it the buck hammer. Factory Winchester Supreme Loads with the same bullet shoot well for me too.

In fact, I started with those factory loads, then ordered the bullets and loaded my own to duplicate the facotry load. I was planning to use Win 760 for a true exact copy of the factory load, but I got the same accuracy from the RL-15 I already had on hand, so I just stuck with it.
    Last edited by sgtD; 01-10-2012 at 03:08 AM.

So during a week moment last fall I bought a couple of boxes of Sierra 100 grain boat tail hollow point bullets. I loaded some at 2.743 O.A.L. over 44.0 grains of IMR4064. This load yielded 2865 fps and went boom when I pulled the trigger. Then we loaded 42.0 grs of H335. The velocity rose to 2900 fps and went kaboom when I pulled the trigger. The accuracy was great at 50 yds one day and and inch and a halfish at 100 yds. on differrent day. Not sure what to use this on? Texas deer maybe, hogs, or coyote.
    Last edited by tinbullet; 03-11-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Wise

"The velocity rose to 2900 fps and went kaboom when I pulled the trigger."

H335 has a tendency to do that. When I got my first .308 back in 1973, H335 was cheap and according to the loading manuals I had at the time would give some of the highest velocity. The muzzle blast from the 20" barrel of tht Remington 660 was something else. Sounded more like a detonation than a normal gunshot for one thing. The flash from the muzzle looked liked a three foot wide strobe light and was bright enough that at high noon in the middle of August was something to behold. I wish i still had the data for that load, but all my loading notes disappeared when we moved from Nevada to Arizona. I can say one thing about tht load though. I took down a deer a year for me every years from 1973 to 1978. We moved in 1979 well before the deer season that year so could not hunt.
    I'd be careful with H335 though as it can get a bit nasty in a hurry when getting near max pressures. Just ask me how I know.
    A powder I heard was quite good for the 7MM-08 was W760. I use it these days in one .308 and the 7x57 with good velocity and accuracy in the 7x57. The .308 is something else. I got into the rifle cheap (Ruger M77 RSI) as the previous owner said it was the most inaccurate rifle he ever saw. he wasn't kidding. Two yearsof experimenting with various powders, bullets and weird incantations finally showed that a stiff charge of W760 and the 165 gr. Speer Hot-Core as the only load that one trick pony would shoot well. I finally got it down to a consistant 1.25" grouper at 2550 FPS. Kills deer out to 250 yard just fine.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Tin, the 7MM is an awsome caliber, very versitile. Those 100 grainers are perfect preditor rounds. Whitetail though, IMHO, develop 140-154gr load using projectiles that have a short O.A.L. i.e. speer GSor DC, hornady SP,or nosler partitions. The shorter bullet length will allow more case capacity. Stay away from "ballistic tips" those are for quarry less than 100 lbs. and again just MHO.
    I have a plan

Wise

"Stay away from "ballistic tips" those are for quarry less than 100 lbs. and again just MHO."

I'm inclined to agree with with you on the ballisic Tips. I've only used the 140 gr. BT on one deer and I lost it. However, to be fair to Nosler, I was using the early version when they were still being sold in 100 count boxes. The deer was shot and I think it hit a rib as I heard a sound like a sharp stick breaking and at the hit the deer left the herd and headed down into a gully. As I went up the hill to reach the gully, my right foot turned on some loose rock while my carcass twisted to the left and something in my right knee let go. All I can say at this point is walking at the time was no loger an option and my hunting partners felt it was more important to get me to a doctor than finding that deer. Two things remain from that hunt7 yeras ago. One, i no longer trust the Nosler BT on deer and two, I'll walk with a limp the rest of my life.
    For the record, the cartridge was the 7x57 mauser, the 7mm-08's older brother and the bullet was the 140 gr. Nosler BT loaded to a velocity of 2800 FPS.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

GunLoad Trainee

I use the 140gr winchester/Nosler Combined technology silver tip, over a max charge of RL-15 as listed on the Nosler website data. Very accurate (.75") at 100yds in my Savage 200. Using the regular 140 gr ballistic tip the groups open up to 1 1/2", so I stick with the silvertips.

I have found some pieces of jacket in the deer on the offside near the exit, but have never recovered the actual bullet because they stay together well enough to pass through, even when shot from as close as 35 yards.

Deer hit in the heart lung area with this load drop where they are standing. In fact I call it the deer hammer becuase of the way they drop. That's been my experience with these bullets in 7mm-08.
    Last edited by sgtD; 03-16-2012 at 05:21 PM.