Quote Originally Posted by armyrat1970 View Post
And that is a process that is called smoking the bullet. I would still like to see some type of pic or a reasonable post about cases like the 45, 9mm or 380 that is supposed to headspace on the mouth of the case and a resonable response as to why you can chamber the cases longer than SAMI Specs. I understand you may have to slug. But so many state they never trim their cases it still has me wondering.
Most "service guns" have oversized chambers, for our own good of course. As we are talking about autoloaders, their barrels often have a sloppy fit allowing the chamber to "stretch", and their firing pins have enough reach and energy for short cases.
Try pushing your 1911's barrel forward, or insert a gauge/toothpick between its hood and the breech face.

Trimming is not necessary because straight auto cases don't seem to stretch; ... doesn't make sense with the metal displacement thing during sizing, but the fact is that I even stopped having to trim revolver cases when I stopped crimping them.
Your case trimmer might tell you otherwise if it headspaces from the front of the rim, as they are battered by the ejector, for example.

I think headspacing should be functional rather than, say, academic . It should avoid misfires and damages but allow field use.
("In practical terms, headspace is the clearance allowed between the base of the cartridge case and the face of the bolt", http://www.fulton-armory.com/headspace.htm).

About SAAMI specs, you should have one set for cases and an other one for chambers, which might support my view.

kg