Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: handgun deer hunting

I think that the .357 would be fine if used within it's limitations (50ish yards max). However if I were shooting beyond 30 yards, I would not want to have to count on bullet expansion. I would use a nice, heavy LFN or SWC (I like the 358429-173 grn SWC). I am always concerned about boolit placement and penetration. If you have those two, then the deer will be yours.

I hunt with a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt (scoped) or in .41 Mag (open sights). Depending on the range and conditions that are expected for that day.

Regardless of which gun I use, I use heavy, cast boolits. I'm very happy with the results they deliver.

I don't use a .357 only because my longest bbl revolver in .357 is 3 3/4". If I had a nice, 6" accurate gun, it would be fine for the areas I hunt. (Max range us usually 35 yards or so).

All that being said; pick a good, heavy, accurate boolit/load combo and practice, practice, practice.

Remember, whether you are talking about hunting or self defense, the priorities are the same:

Shot placement is king; penetration is queen; everything else is just angels dancing on the head of a pin.
    Last edited by Cayoot; 10-08-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” – John 3:16

That still amazes me…I don’t care who you are or how much I care about you, I would never let you kill my son. I can’t even begin to understand how much He loves us.

GunLoad Trainee

Here in Michigan Handguns are legal. "Zone 3" which is roughly the southern half of the lower peninsula is limited to straight case/no bottleneck .35 cal. or larger, the rest of the state does not have that limitation.
    Indiana also allows handguns. Does not have the straight case limitation of michigan in their shotgun zones that I know of.
    I agree with some of the above that .357 is marginal. I also prefer heavy for caliber cast. Using .41 Mag Blackhawk and a custom 245 GR. right now.
    Kevin

Last edited by Chuckbuster; 01-09-2010 at 10:12 PM.

GunLoad Trainee

Default Handgun Hunting

I have a few handguns to hunt deer here in Western Pa. I have a Encore contender 44mag,- DanWesson 44mag, -S&W 44mag.- S&W 41mag. -Ruger Blackhawk 45LC. All of these will take deer. I have shot a couple of deer withe the S&W 44mag and one with a Ruger Super Redhawk 9 1/2" 44mag. which I sold recently. If using a 357mag I would use a 180gr and be good enough with it to place the shot where it counts.

GunLoad Trainee

Smile

Legal here in Pa. Any expanding centerfire cartridge is legal. Must use a revolver or single shot though, no auto's.

GunLoad Trainee

Cool

I started out with a RSB,stainless steel,2x Leupold scope. Went up to a contender in 375 win.,now I own a S&W 629 classic with a 2x Burris,bought a S&W XVR 460 with a 4x Leupold, newest addition is a Magnum Research BFR in 454 with a 4x Leupold.

GunLoad Trainee
    Western Nevada about 50 miles from the exact middle of nowhere

Here in Nevada the law says for handgun hunting big game " a centerfire cartridge of 24 cal.or larger with a minimum case of that of the 44 Remington magnum",which makes it legal to hunt elk and big horn sheep with a .256(?) Winchester mag (a .357 case necked to .257) ,"with at least a 4" bbl". To me excluding griz/large brown bear country the 357 mag is plenty for deer at bow ranges (50 yds or less that being my self impossed limit). To me hunting hand gun means personal defense with a long bbl and some accuracy tweeks not short bbl benchrest rifle in a pistol stock. I think for me a contender is my limit for handgun , who wants to shoot a pistol chambered in 30-06',or 35 Whelen for weekend fun? Currently I prefer my RBH 45 Colts although I've killed 2 mule deer with my 6" Security Six .

GunLoad Trainee

We can hunt critters here in Alabama with centerfire pistols. I've taken deer with 223, 30-30, and 308 in a TC, 357 mag, 44 mag, 45 LC and 500 mag in a revolver. I keep 357 mag revolver shots in the 50 yard or so range but with a closed chamber gun like a TC a 357 mag really scoots. I set up a 1/4 inch plate of mild steel at 100 yards at our shooting range for a dinger. My wife and I shot it with a 10 inch Contender and 158 JSP's. I thought we were missing it till I walked down and saw that we were shooting thru it.

Smile Here in Ohio

Here in Ohio 38 cal. or larger straight walled only, min. 5" barrel length.
    Have taken many of deer with 44mag.
    Pistol hunting and hunting on Sundays was illegal in this state up until about 20 years ago.
    You can shoot any game in this state with high power rifle except deer. figure that one out.
    300winmag
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your edlers will teach you WISDOM.
    Thanks
    300winmag

I have several, connected with a 30-06 encore once, and missed twice with a .480. I'm currently carrying a .454 Encore and a .44 mag. Gotta leave the rifle at home if I plan to kill anything with the handguns...
    Tom

Warning! Does NOT play well with others!

GunLoad Trainee

454 casull my way to go plenty of power , goes through 4 1/2-5 feet of meat and bone.....hoo rah as gunny would say