Thread: .357 Mag Loads

OL' REBEL

Default .357 Mag Loads

Have any of you ever used the Hornady XTP JHP in the 180 gr bullet #35771 in the .357 Mag rifles, either Rossi or Marlin? If so, what powder did you use and how much and what accuracy did you find?
    Senator, We have a saying down South, "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

Wise

Let's keep this simple. W296/H110 or #2400. H110 and W296 ae just different lots of the same powder. I don't shoot jacketed bullets in my .357 mag. handguns and I don't have a .357 mag. rifle but those are some of the best powders for that purpose. I did use those powders in a Marlin .44 mag. rifle with very good results.
    Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

the new rossi [taurus,torous,touros,torous,tarous, however you spell it] rifles have a bbl twist rate better suited to the lighter [125gr] bullets.
    basically making the 357 a 32 magnum
    if you do try the heavy weights you will have to push them to top velocity's to have any hope of stabilization.
    i know their older [rossi] ones will stabilize the 180's though, as mine will.
    marlin done the same thing to their 44 bbl's copying the slow twist rate for the 44-40 with it's 200 gr bullet.

I use 158 gr XTP , no 180's, and 13.8 gr og 2400 in a Handi Rifle. I get about 1.25 groups on my 75 yard range.
    Remember the Starfish