Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When is the best time to clean brass before depriming, resizing or after?

GunLoad Trainee

Default When is the best time to clean brass before depriming, resizing or after?

[B]I am a new to reloading and just getting started and wanted to know is it better to tumble and clean brass before you start the process of resizing and knocking out the old primer or after? The brass I am starting with is once shot .308 Hornady Match that is already very clean and in great condition. I used the Lee wax lube that came with my kit and wondered how do you get the wax off after you have deprimed and resized the brass?
    Any insight from one of you experienced reloaders wound be appreciated.
    Thanks[/B]

GunLoad Trainee DeanoBeanCounter's Avatar

1st, welcome.
    Next, I vote for cleaning before depriming. That way the flash holes don't get clogged and any dirt is gone before sizing.
    Dean

I don't clean my brass. I've been loading for almost 35 years and I never have, and never will. I take very good care of my brass and keep it out of the dirt, and I wipe each case with a rag before lubing/sizing.

I think cleaning cases can hide problems like incipient head seperation. This is a big concern for me as I load for and shoot many older milsurps that often have oversized chambers. I like to watch the brass for signs of trouble, and I can't do that if all the warning signs are erased in the tumbler.

But the biggest reason why I won't do it is because most methods of cleaning (except ultrasonic) put outrageous amounts of particulate lead into the air. It is the single greatest source of lead contamination for most of us, and that includes those who cast bullets. I cannot do that to myself and my kids. The more you know about lead and how it gets into your system, the less you want anything to do with cleaning cases.

The corporations who sell the idea that a shiny case is a happy case are only interested in making money. I don't give a damn how it looks. What I am impressed with is how it performs. Tiny groups and dead deer don't care how the cases look. Leave Martha Stewart out of reloading.

So, the best time to clean them as far as I'm concerned is NEVER.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

No tumbler here, but I want to get rid of the grit in the primer pocket... So I wipe the brass after shooting and then resize and/or deprime, before the reloading process.
    That's cleaning first , but LEE makes a universal decapper if you want the tumbler to do all the cleaning.

About the wax lube, I usually get very quick answers from Emails to LEE:
    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi

not expert, but 28 years

I like to keep my dies clean and unscratched so I clean as soon as I unload the truck. I bought a tumbler many years ago which makes that job less time consuming and easier. While the brass is being tumbled, I am cleaning the guns and getting them ready to be stored. After cleaning the brass, make sure to remove all the media possible, lube (if needed) and resize, etc.

i mostly neck size so use little [if any ] lube.
    but to keep the dust down i tumble after sizing and use a dryer sheet to pick up the fine stuff in the bowl.
    i also put a dish cloth over the top of the bowl.

GunLoad Trainee

Good question. After depriming first and then tumbling one time I had no trouble remembering which to do first ! Yeah, clean it, then deprime. I really clean mine to keep from hacking up my dies. Load on.

I deprime mine first then I put mine in the vibrator. I use finely ground nut on bad cases but once the fine cob got a little rouge from the nut in there it does good I have had about 5 per load of the nut hanging up and only one hang up in the cob so far. I think its ground about 21 mesh. Even my old military rounds that haven't been used for years come out really nice. Surprised me. For when they do hang up, I use a set of dental picks from harbor frieght to get it free.

swamp

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    i mostly neck size so use little [if any ] lube.
    but to keep the dust down i tumble after sizing and use a dryer sheet to pick up the fine stuff in the bowl.
    i also put a dish cloth over the top of the bowl.
    I'm curious, what is the "bowl" you put a cover over?

I have typically tumbled before decapping; I've tried decapping first to allow the cleaning media to clean the primer pockets but that doesn't work. I have recently purchased an ultrasonic cleaner in an attempt to clean primer pockets after reading that, that works well but I'm not impressed. Does anybody have something they are using in the water that actually cleans the pockets?

Since I reload on a progressive press media getting stuck in a flash hole isn't a concern since I still run the brass through a decapping/resizing die anyway.

I tumble prior to reloading to protect my dies and possibly the chamber of the guns...and they look pretty too.

I use the little wire brush one at a time.

LOL