Thread: Shot loads using gas checks

GunLoad Trainee

Default Shot loads using gas checks

Some years ago (10 or 15) I came across a Handloader magazine that had powder charges and load data for 38, 357, 41 mag, 44 mag and 45 Colt using gas check and or Speer shot capsules. Any of you fellas have any of that data in your library. I would sure appreciate it if you would share it with me.

Need some for snake repellent around the house. Damn Copperheads don't say anything they just nail you. And they real hard to see this time of year with all the leaves.
    owoo..! I hate earth wobble

I believe the Speer manual lists those loads, at least it used to. I don't have a copy, but someone around here ought to. Have you tried their website?

There was a thread on Cast Boolits a couple of years back about loading shot in various pistol cartridges, you could "Search" over there, too.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks Versifier I will give them a look. I have a couple old Speer reloading manuels, but, no info on shot loads in them.

in the capsulls they weigh about 250 grains full of #11 shot. i just used light load data for a bullet that weight.
    5 grs of titegroup as i recall.
    as i remember the article .it was mike venturino whom wrote it ,he stops in from time to time on the cast boolits board.
    if you can't find any data i would just seat the bottom check fill with shot then dump it out
    and weigh it with two checks to give you a "bullet" weight.
    then poke your g/c out from the case through the primer hole.
    compare your depth of the bottom check to the depth of a seated bullet and you can figure out a load.

GunLoad Trainee

Thanks Runfiverun...sounds like the way I'm going to proceed. I will be using 71/2 shot as I have a couple bags left and about 5 lbs of Bullseye. A pound of Bullseye goes a long way due to the light loads used as does a 25 lb bag of shot..... I will be loading for my 45 Colt ( Ruger SA) and 38 spec. Again thanks to all.

Mike S.

GunLoad Trainee

Im new to this site but read often, write little. Dec 08 GUNS magazine has a artical on loading shot shells by John Taffin.
    His loads all #9 shot and unique powder. 5.0grs. 38 spl. 6.0grs for .357 mag.
    7.0 for .44spl, 8.0 fer .44 mag and 9.0 grs fer .45 long colt.
    He also states in the newest speer #14 has the shotshell capsules loaded with shot at approx. 100,140,150 respectively for 38,44 and 45.
    Capsule recommendations for OAL are 1.5"/.38spl, 1.6"?.44spl& mag and 1.575" in .45 colt.

If you need me to, I might be able to scan the artical and e-mail to ya.

Hope this might help ya,

Mike mikedln at hotmail dot com
    Last edited by myg30; 03-09-2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: add e-mail addr

Good afternoon
    My old Speer #10 has the info on page 401-403.
    As I remember the biggest problem is the rifling gives the shot that rotation and the faster the twist the worse it gets. Without shot protection the rifling gets all goobered up.

JJB

i've made up lots of shot loads using the speer capsules in .38 cal. i'd have to look at the data to see what i used for a powder charge... i used bullseye i know... i have some with a mix of #6-7 shot and some with #12 shot and some more with #2 shot........ you can't get too many pellets of #2 in a .38 cal capsule but they will take out a coon (4 shots)...............

GunLoad Trainee

I figured out my own loads 20 years back by weighing the shot load and checks then using load data from the Lyman Cast Bullet Reloading Guide. I went with the starting loads since a shot load is typically used with a target close to the muzzle.

Have quite a few happy customers with such loads.

I loaded some shot loads in my .45LC. I used cardboard from a cigarette box as a top wad over the powder and did the same wor a top wad over the shot. I then applied a roll crimp and used wax as a sealer. The loads seem to work ok for shooting snakes within a couple of yards of you. Ihad to test them on carvoard as we don't have any snakes in this part of the country other than garter snakes and those I leave be. I used #8 shot.

Take Care

Bob
    Bob

If you are reading this, thank a teacher; if you are reading this in English thank a veteran.