Thread: Turret Presses

Default Turret Presses

Anyone got any comments / observations regarding the use of a Turret Press v an 'O' frame in re-loading .303", 8x60s and 7mm-08Rem
    Duncan.
    "I don't drink water, fish fornicate in it" W.C.Fields

I use an RCBS Turret for everything now except FL sizing rifle cases (the leverage is better on my Rock Chucker), priming and charging. I use a Lee AutoPrime2 mounted on a little Lee Reloader press because I like to seat by feel and the AP2 has an automatic feed and is adjustable for seating depth. Then I like to charge my cases in a loading block to visually check all the charge levels before seating. I think the turret saves me about 2/3 the time it takes to do them all on a single stage, even priming and charging separately, and about 1/2 the time when I need to FL size too.

Personally, I would advise spending a little more and go for either an RCBS, Lyman, or Redding rather than the Lee (which can be quirky to operate and Lee's attempts at Customer Service are laughable at best if you have any problems).

You're no beginner, so that isn't an issue.

If you are working up loads, testing components, or doing small batches of many different cartridges, the turret is so much more versatile than a progressive and so much faster than a single stage. (OTOH, if you need lots and lots of the exact same load, that's where progressives shine.) Most of us don't do the volume to need more than a single stage, (I got by with one for thirty years) but if you're doing a few hundred a week or more, then to me it makes sense to move up to something a bit faster. For me, the obvious choice was a turret because it fit my needs so well. You hve to consider both the kind of loading and the volume you need to decide if it is right for you.
    Last edited by versifier; 01-28-2009 at 02:26 AM.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

Versifier I hear you on the single stage is all you really need. Man when you start up that Dillon and got her set right it takes no time at all to knock off 1000 rounds 3 to 4 hours at a leisurely pace and that thing just eats up the bullets.

Yes you can go faster but I ain't in that big a hurry anymore 35 years ago maybe 40 I was but not no more.

Ken.
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot!
    Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...

I like using the "O" frame for rifle and a progressive for my pistols. I also use the Lee Auto Prime 2 to prime all my brass.

GunLoad Trainee

I'll never turn my back on my old reliable RCBS RockChucker, but I have grown rather fond of my new Hornady LnL AP. It makes short work of any handgun cartridges, though I do the sizing of rifle cartridges in the RockChucker before I load them in the LnL.

Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it.
    Duncan.
    "I don't drink water, fish fornicate in it" W.C.Fields