Thread: 40 S&W Loads

GunLoad Trainee

Default 40 S&W Loads

I'm looking for some good loads for the 40 using a Lee 401-175-TC 40 S&W (401 Diameter) 175 Grain Truncated Cone boolit. Thanks all.

Welcome to the Guide Smokepole.
    What kind of pistol are you going to be shooting them in?
    No problems unless it's a Glock. The newest ones can shoot cast, but the the bullets have to be VERY hard (read LINOTYPE) and properly over bore (sized at +.002-.003") to work safely without leading and dangerous overpressures with the polygonal rifling.
    That is a good mould, I had a 6cav that I liked a lot, but sold my .40, then the mould. It liked light target loads with UNIQUE for that bullet and heavier charges with 180JHP's. The problem was that it was a 1st Gen Glock 23, so the brass was way too bulged for reloading. Not worth it for one bang per case. I was going to get an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber, but was offered a great deal on a G21 instead. I sold the G23 to a non-loader and I'm quite happy with the .45.
    "Stand your ground.
    Do not fire unless fired upon.
    But if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
    - Capt. Parker, Lexington Militia, April 19, 1775

2.8 gr of Titegroup under my 180 gr truncated cone bullets makes minor PF for IPSC. Load is accurate and soft shooting.

Take Care

Bob
    Bob

If you are reading this, thank a teacher; if you are reading this in English thank a veteran.

GunLoad Trainee

In case anybody's interested I have about 1K Brass for a 40. Make me an offer as I need to clear the room or my Dear Sweet wife will not be pleased. 600+ Federal. 400+ Speer, 75 nickle and another couple hundred mixed. Just fishing. Joe

GunLoad Trainee

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this subject...I'll be using a Tarus pistol. Have a bunch of Bullseye and Unique that I would like to use. Thanks again to all. Moldy Joe thanks, but, short on cash right now.
    owoo..! I hate earth wobble