PDA

View Full Version : any help welcomed

mechanic
10-27-2008, 03:04 AM
i wanna get started in reloadin my own ammo where do i start, what to buy where is the best place to buy what i need ,books,presses,bullets everything to get started Thanks

Shmelmafinga
10-27-2008, 03:56 AM
I started by checking out a few reloading manuals. After studying them and getting most of my questions answered I bought just a basic Redding starter kit, and a small variety of components. I'm glad I didn't spend too much money right away, because I didn't really start learning until I loaded a few hundred rounds.

versifier
10-27-2008, 01:54 PM
The first thing you need to get is two or three current loading manuals. (Lyman, Sierra, Lee, Nosler, Hornady, Speer, etc.....) That will give you plenty to read about the basic operations and how to use the tools. Starter kits are offered by most of the bigger manufacturers and they include all or most of the basic tools. Start off with a single stage press. Midway http://midwayusa.com/ is a good place to start. Search on all three Gunloads forums for more information, advice to newbys is frequent and often very detailed. Ask when you have specific questions - that's why we're here.

The Straight Shooter
10-28-2008, 03:20 AM
If you have never seen reloading done before, find a friend who does reload. The local shooting club is a good place to start. Watch them reload and ASK QUESTIONS! The only dumb questions about reloading is the ones that are not asked. The first question I guess is what kind of shooting are you planning to do? Then get yourself a single stage press. Usually RCBS and Lee will have a kit that will get you started. Others are available I am sure. I started about 7 years ago on a single stage press and I have never moved on to a progressive. I myself am a cowboy action shooter, so I load alot of .45 Colt and .44-40 rounds. I use the same amount of powder for both. (Clay's Universal). I like using a single stage press because if something goes awry, i can fix it before I ruin too many cases. And with trying to find brass these days.... Anyway, have your reloading frind there to help you get your press and dies set the way you need them to get a quality consistent load. After that, start pulling the lever and making bullets!!

hardcast416taylor
10-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Right on Straight Shooter, about watching how to load first. This is what friends are for, to learn from. Get an idea of what is involved first by watching and asking questions about everything. I`m in process of teaching 2 friends to load rifle only ammo. One guy is 59 and the other is 35. I can already see the monster I am making by the questions about pistol and shotshell loading and pouring my lead bullets they arer posing. For Heavens Sake don`t try to teach yourself to load by reading magazine articles!!! A friend did and managed to neatly shear off the scope mount on his Ruger .44 carbine, his wife was shooting it! It only took 2 shots! So watch, listen, read a bunch and above all ASK QUESTIONS!!!!!:!:

Bullshop Junior
10-31-2008, 01:33 AM
my dad has two military filing cabnets full of reloading manuels, and is still buying.
Go to midway, and brows what they have.
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.