PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Cast for Rifle ???

pick
10-12-2008, 01:48 AM
I have a Marlin 1895GS 45-70 and I am wanting to shoot some 405g Hard Cast that I have in it.

I have slugged the bore and it is between 0.457 and 0.458. By the reading I am getting would say it is close to 0.4573

The commercial bought 405g LFN BB that I have mic between 0.458 and 0.459 and I would say they seem to be at very close to 0.4586

I have not used cast for anything other the light low cost plinking loads for revolvers, and accuracy was not at the top of the list. These I hope to work up for a deer load in the 1500 to 1600 fps range. Accuracy and consistency is important. I have read for most having the cast bullet oversized one to two thousands works well. What I am not sure about is that I have also read that sizing for the throat is important. Please advise.

I took two of these hard cast today and 'bumped' them in a press and got them just shy of 0.460. I do not have a sizing press or punch so once I 'bump' one of these I have to live with it for now.

My question is ... should I shoot as I have now or should I bump some up and try them.

Also I am planing on using Hodgdon's Benchmark ... anyone with experience with this powder would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

...pick...

versifier
10-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the Guide, pick.
They should be worth a try. I wouldn't bother "bumping" them as you will not get a consistant size. "Bumping" is a handy technique when you need to slug a bore and don't have anything oversized to use, but not to prepare bullets for loading if you expect any consistancy or accuracy. Throat measurements apply to revolver cylinders, not rifle/pistol barrels.
I don't use Benchmark, so I am no help there. For more info on powder selection and loads, you ought to try next door at CB. 45-70 is a very popular round with cast shooters and you will find lots of folks there who can steer you in the right direction.

kodiak1
10-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Hello Pick I have never used benchmark either in the 45-70.
I think your bullets will work just fine. I have to use the .458 casts in my 11.7 X 51R and it is just under .461 and they bump up fine.

Good Luck Ken.

pick
10-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks fellas

I have load up five sets with the 405g WFN BB as is with Benchmark.

48g
49g
50g
51g
52g

I hope to shoot them this week and will report back.

Any pointers to watch for I would not be offended

versifier
10-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Shoot 5shot groups, not three, and shoot at least two groups for each charge level in case you jerk the trigger accidently and get a flier or two. When in doubt, use the biggest backer for your target you can find as the POI may be very different from the POI for jacketed bullets. You can still measure the group as long as you keep your point of aim, no matter where it lands on the backer, even if it misses the target completely. You are looking for groups sizes, not bullseyes.

kodiak1
10-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Just out of curiosity let me know how them badboys buck.

Thanks Ken.

Bullshop Junior
10-31-2008, 01:43 AM
with the 45/70 a .460" boolit will be more acrurate. Did you cast the boolits, or buy them? what is the BHN?
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

1Shirt
03-03-2009, 05:32 PM
My #1 Ruger 45-70 likes a 385 or 405 gr. plain base cast med hard, about 15 or so BH, over 22 gr. of 2400. I agree with whoever said shoot 5 shot groups to tell you what the load is capable of. I size to .459. Not a shoulder buster, but think it will take anything in the lower 48 within range limitations.
1Shirt!:coffee:

isowipe
09-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Mate
I use this projectile in my .458 win mag size them to .459, I had the sizing die made at a local machine shop and use the rock chucker press to do the sizing. I use wheel weights dropped into water and drive them at 2150 fps with no leading, I use ar 2207 here in Oz

Paul B
09-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Those bullets should shoot just fine although the ones closer to .458" will probably lead some. It all depends on how hard those bullets are. When I cast a bunch of bullets for my 45-70 Ruger #1, I usually size them at .459". One of these days I'll be looking for a sizing die at .460" to try and see if there is an improvememnt.
When I had my marlin 45-70, I shot the Lyman #459122, a nominally 330 gr. hollow point bullet over 17.0 gr. of SR4759 with a tuft of dacron to keep the powder close to the primer. From the Marlin, velocity was around 1600 FPS and groups were right at 2" which is about as good as I can do with my old age eyeballs.
Velocity was the same from the Ruger #1 but as it is scoped, groups were a more satisfying 1.5". Recoil was moderate in the marlin which was an early new model with a curved buttplate that make the kick seem to be a lot worse that it really was, Recoil was mild in the Ruger. I recently bought an RCBS 400 gr. mold but haven't made up any bullets from it, at least not yet. Right now it's way too hot to cast bullets anyway.
I do my reloading in a shed in my back yard and even with an oversised A/C unit, it still hotter than the hinges of Hades this time of year. Then, when I'm throwing powder charges, I have to turn it off anyway or the scale goes bonkers.
Paul B.

slim400
04-29-2012, 04:19 AM
458 sizing will work just fine. You mentioned that you are looking at a size of 457 and three tents. I don't know anybody they can make that die either get 457 or 458. I do not know if you know how those are machine but it is a Finnish rammer and it would have to be an adjustable. Raymer in order to get the three tents the other problem with that is that is made out of an incredibly hard material and the only thing that will cut it would be a die reamer or die drill my two cents

Slim 400