PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss?

HABCAN
10-10-2008, 01:40 PM
There seems to be little info around for Trail Boss. I like the idea of its bulkiness.
Does anyone have 'equivalents' say, for Unique? As in, "this much Trail Boss will give equivalent velocity/pressure for this much Unique"? Where does Trail Boss rank in a burning-rate chart? I know it's fast, but how fast? All cautions would apply in working up loads.

versifier
10-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Welcome to the Guide, HABCAN.
Go to Hodgdon's website and download their Basic Manual. It has loading info for Hodgdon, Winchester, and IMR Powders. You can look up loads by specific cartridge.
The concept of "equivalents" is not particulary safe when applied to smokeless powders, unlike black powder and its substitutes. With most, it is not a plottable curve. You might be able to find (or create for yourself with the help of a chrono) some sort of chart that relates Trail Boss to Black Powder or Pyrodex, though, since it is a low density bulk powder, but I have not heard of anyone compiling and publishing such a chart.
They list its burn rate as between Winchester Super Handicap and Green Dot.

HABCAN
10-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Vers, I have the Manual on link in my Favorites. Your last sentence is my answer. Thanks.

kodiak1
10-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Habcan what are you reloading over there?
Did you get to Stettler Show? Forgot to email you.
Ken.

HABCAN
10-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Ken, yes, I did. Was a bit of a disappointment, but did get a few things for my group.

Playing with a .32-20 Contender, '.309 drilled soupcan' and all.[smilie=w:

runfiverun
10-11-2008, 04:46 AM
habcan the closest thing to trailboss is the old old powder called sharpshooter made around the turn of the century.