PDA

View Full Version : Rifle season

Toney
11-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Rifle deer season in the morning!!! went out to foul a couple of barrels, my 7mm mauser sprayed think the scope's dead, it slid off the top of the car last time out barrel stuck in ground an then fell over across the case {wind} I did'nt shoot agian untill today. Have checked the muzzle and scope mounts action screws. the rifle is glass beded with new steped barrel. Has always shot better than 2"??? I guess i will take the ol'lady's jap in the mornimg been wanting to take deer with bootlit

Had a surprize my new 03 turk shot into 2" at 100Y using hornady 170gRN with 44g IMR 3031 three times better than the scoped 7mm. Bullets printed aroun 1 1/2" high. Shooting 1944 turk sup was shooting a little low with the sights set on 200y. What a buy for $75 its going hunting

Toney

Bullshop Junior
11-19-2005, 02:53 AM
That is good. Finally I hear that deer season is open! In Alaska moose season starts September first, and ends the 15th of the some month! Never did get to shoot a deer. My first big game was a moose taken with my Marlin 336 in 35remington.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Toney
11-19-2005, 03:18 AM
You would really!!! like deer hunting it's kinda like trying to sneek up on a dog your either good or lucky

Your very lucky to be able to hunt big game. moose are good eating too. I lived up there in 1974-75 i was 13, had a couple of Big females chase me on my motorcycle never thought about hunting them

Gunload Master
11-19-2005, 04:04 AM
Deer season is over hear. Might have a few draws open around but general is all over. I got a cow elk draw opening Dec 1st, looking forward to that.

Shot a little 3 x 3 this year for deer. I was on a limited time hunt so I had to take what I could. But it's always great to get muley. :)

Toney
11-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Wish i had my rifle!!! jumped two on the way in, hit one around 8 found blood not the deer cam home to get the girls going bacb to look

Toney
11-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Found it!!! a little doe MEAT!!! thought the girls could help, Nick found the trail pretty fast, I had got down on all 4"s for over 40min i thought it had quit bleading the trail ended with a couple of really small drips.

I think trailing might be the best part of the hunt this one took 2 hours to find. i hit it good but mabie a little far back

Made the kill with a Lee 185gn RN out of sporterized T99 using 06 cases COOL!!!!

C1PNR
11-25-2005, 03:17 AM
Toney,

So the wife's Jap connected, eh. Good on you!

BTW, what scope do/did you have on the 7mm that went bad after the fall? Several years ago I fell about 5 or 6 feet with my scoped '06 in hand and the POI moved less than 2". I thought that was pretty good, then someone told me the Leupold should have held zero, even with the fall.

I don't know about that, so I'm just curious your experience.

Toney
11-25-2005, 04:59 AM
A simmons pro hunter 4x12-40 the poi only moved around 2" to the right, when i adjusted it went to spraying to the left 3-5" when i adjusted back it settled back in to the right.

went to look at an older redfielf but it was to short ended up with a pronghorn 3x9 my pawn shop guy was going to loan it to me i figured if i sighted it in it might as well stay got it for $15 FOV is a little small but it workes

C1PNR
11-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Sounds like maybe it suffered some type of permanent damage and not just knocked off zero.

In that regard I guess I'm lucky because mine is fine now that I re-zeroed it. Still holds ~ 3/4" @ 100 when I do my part. My problem with this load is that I'm out of the bullets and out of that lot of powder. I think I'll start loading 150 gr for that rifle, as long as I've got to work up a new load.

That's the only one I've ever dropped or banged around. Been lucky, I guess. Good luck with your replacement.:)

Toney
11-26-2005, 01:10 AM
I tripped on the steps ontop of a cheapo 4x BSA and crushed the top cap and the scope was fine. It has made the 150gr pellet load just fine think them cheap scopes are like droplite bulbs when you get one that does'nt burn out right away it makes it untill you bust it