PDA

View Full Version : loading slugs in the 12ga

Bullshop Junior
11-18-2005, 06:13 AM
Awhile back my dad got a mold for a something or another. When we got the mold dad cast some up. The round ball came out of the mold at .690". what do you use a .690" round ball for? Easy!!!!!!! by a box of cheap low brass 12ga shells (preferrably federal), brake the crimp with a small flat head screw driver, open the shell up with a pair of pliers untill the ball can slide into the wad, dumb out the shot, slide in the ball and then use a shot shell press to recrimp if you have one and if not use a 3/4" socket. You will need to start the crimp by hand, But just until the socket fits over the crimp the push down. The crimp will be a little ugly but it works. if you are interested in trying the idea I will sell some for $0.15 ea, plus shipping.

The load works very well and does not kick that bad. I have used them in my double barrel 12ga shot gun that was intended only for shot and they shoot well.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Toney
11-18-2005, 06:33 AM
cool load but after dove season i swaped my 12ga for a rifle will have to get another before turkey time

Toney

Newtire
08-31-2006, 04:23 AM
Don't think I'd want to shoot that round ball out of a full choked shotgun. I used to shoot those but out of a cylinder bore. Had the idea they would blow out a choked barrel but maybe am wrong..

d-o-k
08-31-2006, 04:47 AM
Don't think I'd want to shoot that round ball out of a full choked shotgun. I used to shoot those but out of a cylinder bore. Had the idea they would blow out a choked barrel but maybe am wrong..

G'Day & welcome to the Guide! Newtire. Solids are made to be slightly undersized so they will fire through Full choked barrels . Many shooters are in the same school of thought as you on this (Myself included for many years )

Dave

turbo1889
02-14-2007, 07:33 AM
I love loading slug loads for the 12-ga. So far I've done single round ball, triple round ball, Lee slugs, Slugmaster-slugs, Lyman slugs, and NwCP slugs. By the way you can make more powerful and accurate loads while still keeping pressure in the green zone if you make them up from scratch rather then just improvising with factory loads.