PDA

View Full Version : 375 H&H question

Tom_WY
08-13-2008, 01:05 AM
I have been reloading for my 375, and have new bullets I want to try. They are a 350gr. Woodleigh FMJ. I cannot find any data on powder or load, and being a beginner, I am nervous about trying something blind. I have been using Win 748 at 70gr for my 300 gr Barnes TSX FB. What do you think I should try here?
Thank you in advance,
Tom_WY

08-13-2008, 01:47 AM
Short of shooting thru elephants, any reason for a 350 gr FMJ? :confused:

Might check seating depth of bullet versus chamber throat length versus OAL versus magazine length.

Accurate Arms lists a load for the Barnes 350 gr original which is a conventional cup core, round nose design. Might use the suggested starting charge with that data and work up carefully! The FMJ is likely "harder" and may have a longer bearing surface so may increase pressure over other 350 gr designs.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerCaliber2Guide/Rifle/Standarddata(Rifle)/375Cal(9.53mm)/375%20Holland%20&%20Holland%20pages%20322%20and%20323.pdf

Tom_WY
08-13-2008, 02:11 AM
Thank You so much. I will try the load you recommend. Actually I am going to Africa after Buffalo again. I used a 270 gr last time, and it was a bit light, though it did the job on a great Buffy. I am interested in the performance of the Barnes TSX compared to the Woodleigh. It will be an interesting comparison.

08-13-2008, 03:25 AM
I hear ya, that makes sense!
I think reliability of the ammo in those type hunts would be at a premium. Not only for safety but for follow up shots.... so no crippling loss or the PHs having to clean up messes or track, etc.

It seems past a certain size animal, except for the brain shot business, any normal shoulder fired sporting arm is somewhat under-gun. The follow up shot(s) along with reliability become so important. You are correct in wanting more penetration. Good luck!