PDA

View Full Version : Target ideas

missionary5155
08-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Whats your target....
I have always gone to the simplest. So now I just use for all my shooting a simple Horizontal line with a simple verticle line that starts at the horizontal going up . I use a white piece of paper and use what ever DARK colored marker or crayon handy. LIne thickness varries with distance to target. If I cannot see it I just add thickness at the range... but after a couple hundred you get the hang of that..... :coffee:

kg42
08-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Cereal boxes.... Shoot the monkeys. :mrgreen:

versifier
08-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I doubt my older eyes could use line targets without a scope. When I'm measuring group sizes for load testing, I use my own targets made from a 7x7 square of 1/4" graph paper run through the copier. The 1" lines are highlighted, I make a 1" circle in the center, and the outer 1" is solid black. For other shooting, I just use the downloaded targets available from the Gunloads Home Page. If you can't find what you're looking for there, you'll just have to get creative.

kodiak1
08-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Tried that cardboeard painted a bright color (yellow, orange, white) worked really good.
Wrap Cardboard with Shrink wrap and paint it Black. Shoot it and see where you hit.
Ken.

missionary5155
08-09-2008, 12:35 PM

Now thatīs an idea.... "Hey Grand kids finish that one over there... I need another color target... [smilie=w:

mold maker
08-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Has anyone else tried the FREE CDs from the internet providers?

single shot
10-03-2008, 07:43 AM

Small bore targets:

Doug Bowser
12-19-2008, 07:20 AM
For pistol and 100 yard Highpower rifle, I use NRA B-8C 25 yard timed and rapidfire centers. They are almost the same size as the SR-1 and you can buy 500 fo them from National Target Company at about $.04 each.

Kelly J
01-10-2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.mytargets.com/

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html

www.midwayusa.com

The above sites I haveused for a long time to find targets to shoot at, jus select one yu like and print it out, 1 0r 100, you already have a printer and paper right.

Bill Church
01-14-2009, 11:58 PM
My favorite targets for sighting in a 22 or slug gun is a plain old paper plate. I like to set them at 30 yards, shoot them, and then aim at the bullet hole. It seems to realy help when I'm sighting in a new scope for someone.

In our state you are not allowed to use anything but a shotgun or a bow for deer hunting.

WildmanJack
01-26-2009, 02:02 AM
For my .22 mag, I like to put up a blank sheet of paper and stick those florescent red and green dots on it that you buy at Staples or Office Depot. You get a whole lot of dots and it sure is satisfyig to hit them at 100 yds. For my 1873 Winny in .45 colt, I get a kick out of those graphed targets with the three prairie dogs on them. No prairie dogs here in Florida but a lot cheaper than getting a bunch of Miamians to stand there!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Just not as satisfying!!!)
Jack

rtracy2001
08-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Gallon jugs filled with water and hanging from tree branches, 100 yards 30-30 150 gr HP. (200 yards with the 06)

If I get really bored I add food coloring.

Also pop cans suspended from a string tied to the pull top and swinging in the breeze. (22 LR)

Berdan primed 223 cases on a fence rail (not good for anything else)

chris112
09-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Mine starts with a piece of plastic from a water bottle. Cut 4 squares out to form a pattern 1 1/2" by 1 1/2 ". Each square needs to be 1/2" by 1/2". I then mounted it in a 6cm by 6 cm slide mount.
To use lay on your target paper, draw the outline of the squares then fill in with a sharpy. Works great.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

rtracy2001
11-15-2009, 12:09 AM
I went out to the range with the scouts today, and one of the other leaders had a great target idea:

He took an 8' 2X4 and drilled a small hole about 1/2" deep every four inches or so. the holes were sized so that the stick of a "DUM-DUM" sucker candy fit in snugly.

The scouts had a blast trying to shoot the heads of the suckers, and when they actually got one (after a while we let them use a scope) the colored candy "poof" was a instant success.

Jim_Fleming
11-15-2009, 02:06 AM
A totally bio-degradable target! Fun as all get out, and a bit difficult to hit consistently... Good Job! Nothing left to clean up, except for the sucker sticks... lol! :lol:

I went out to the range with the scouts today, and one of the other leaders had a great target idea:

He took an 8' 2X4 and drilled a small hole about 1/2" deep every four inches or so. the holes were sized so that the stick of a "DUM-DUM" sucker candy fit in snugly.

The scouts had a blast trying to shoot the heads of the suckers, and when they actually got one (after a while we let them use a scope) the colored candy "poof" was a instant success.

TATER
12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
I got 500 5 inch balloons. I pound in 2 T posts, then stretch some masons line and use tie wire to hook to the string. The longer the wire the more they move around. When I first got the balloons, I thought I was really getting old cause they were pretty hard to blow up. So I used my compressor to blow them up once, then they were much easier to inflate in the field. I was getting bored with targets and didn't like leaving glass behind. The balloons are pretty easy to police if that's a concern.

Tommy Kelly
12-19-2009, 06:05 AM
I have a easy target with no clean up. My target's are a cardboard box and a black marker or either a thumb tack. At 25 yds use either the thumb tacks or draw a spot the size of a 30 cal bullet hole then when you want to move out to 100 yds make your spot about the size of a silver dollar. I learned a long time ago the best target is the smallest one you can see shoot small miss small. With a big target it's hard to get the cross hairs to the same spot shot after shot the closer you hold to the same poa the tighter the group. When I get through shooting I take the box and set fire to it and sit there and watch it burn up so no clean up and no mess. I live in farming country and shoot on a old landing strip that's abandoned but the farmers keep it mowed and use it for a turn road between their fields. I have a clear straight shooting range with 7 yds to about 1500 yds wide open. The farmer even built a shooting bench and put there for anyone to use. The only rule is to keep it clean. I usually clean up behind whoever leaves stuff out there when I go with my fire and pick up a fair amount of brass from time to time from the non reloaders that use it.

Dew
12-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Pick up one of the plastic stencils from the art shop or perhaps an Office Box type store.

There will be several circles of various sizes on the stencil. I have one that has 1 inch, 1.5 inch etc. up to 3 inches. Simply take a piece of computer paper or any kind that you have and make several of the circles on the paper with a Marks a Lot or Sharpie.

The advantage to simple circles is that you don't have to worry about shots that won't show up in the black as on some types of targets. Not a lot of lines up and down that just confuse the issue. Your scope will put the crosshair right in the center of the circle as it is as natural as can be. You also might like to hold the crosshair on the bottom of the circle... just find what works best for you.

I gave up on all the other target styles years ago.

Just try it. If you want to try the idea before buying a stencil just take a pill bottle or glass etc. and use it to draw around with your Sharpie.

oldmarriedman
12-24-2009, 04:49 AM
Me and the kids like used golf balls. We shoot down an old lane and see who can get them the furthest on 1 clip. Their favorite is my 10/22 with 4x scope. Ya'll have a Merry Christmas.

fourdollarbill
01-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I use steel plates and a can of white spray paint to cover the hits. It is faster than the paper and stapler method.