PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about reloading

Dit
07-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi
I'm looking at getting started in reloading. I don't have alot of space so I'm looking at getting a Lee hand press and had several people tell me it works well just slow. That's okay I'm not in a big hurry. Looking at getting RCBS uniflow powder measure,RCBS model 1010 scale because of reviews on-line. I will need to get dies for 308 cal. rifle. There are so many any sugestions on which ones? Do they come with shell holder or is that seperate? Getting the book ABC's of reloading which was suggested for a beginner. It has also been suggested to get bullet pullers kinetic and collet types,brass trimmer and cartrigde guage. Are these things that are personal preference or are some better than the rest? I've been told to get good brass just not which ones are considered good brass. How do I know what kind of powder to start with? I'm looking at deer hunting with these and need bullets of 150 gr.. Any suggestions on which would be good to start with. Are all of the brass cleaners about the same? Anything else I might need to start? Thank you for any and all suggestions. Kevin

runfiverun
07-21-2008, 03:22 AM
dit
first off welcome.
secondly you will want to get the book first,then read it.
what you want to get started is a rcbs starter kit ,a set of calipers, and another reloading manual.
the 308 is a fairly easy cartridge to load for and there is a ton of data for it.
but you need to be familiar with a few things to get started and a good scale is one of them.
a set of calipers to know how long things are like your brass and reloaded cases.
for the 308 there is a bunch of good powders but the one that i recommend is 4895 either imr or hodgdons.

take it slow and as you read the book things will become clear as to what they do
and what equipment is needed.
with a bit of forethought you can reload in a small area 2'x2' or on a kitchen table.

versifier
07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Bullet pullers and cartridge gages aren't "must have's" for starting out. (Neither are case cleaners - in fact, I have been loading for 35 years and have not - and will not - own one.) You can pull anything with a kinetic puller - not the fastest tool, but it will work with any case made.

Like r5r said, calipers are, though. They are one of the most important and most used tools on the loading bench. Decent ones don't have to cost an arm and a leg, dial calipers don't need replacement batteries at the worst possible time and will last you a lifetime (or until you drop them on a concrete floor). :-D With a caliper, you don't need a cartridge gage either.

You will need a notebook to record what you have done. Number each lot of ammo on its box and in you notes. It helps to keep track of all your tests, successes, failures, and experiments, and lets you know how many times each lot of brass has been loaded/trimmed, best OAL for each bullet, etc.

You should have at least two current loading manuals.

Only Lee dies come with shell holders, and they make pretty good dies. I'd go for the Deluxe set with the Collet neck sizer if you have a bolt action. The Lee Factory Crimp Die is great, too.

I would not bother with the hand press and go for a bench mounted one. Even the little Lee Reloader will do to get you started, but for full length sizing of rifle brass I'd prefer something a bit more rugged - an "O" frame design by any of the major makers. You don't have to start out with a Rock Chucker, but it wouldn't hurt. :mrgreen:

You will need a priming tool - I'd go with Lee's AutoPrime2. (You have to use either CCI or Win primers with Lee tools. Both brands are great.)

The RCBS scale & Uniflow powder measure are top notch.

You will need a case trimmer and a chamfer/deburring tool. Brand isn't that important - they all work.

You'll need some way to lube rifle cases before FL sizing, pad, spray, or Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

Get either a wooden or plastic loading block so you can inspect your cases after charging, and a good light source to do it with.

Good powders for .308 include IMR 4895, 3031, 4064.

Use whatever brass you have on hand - as long as you work up from starting loads, you won't run into problems. One brand might shoot more accurately in your rifle, but the only way to find out is to try them yourself. Separate the cases by lot and don't mix lots or brands of rifle cases together. It's more an accuracy than a safety issue, depending on how hot the loads are.

For deer bullets, you can't go wrong with Sierra 150gr GameKings. That doesn't mean your rifle will like them best. Again, you have to try a few different brands to find out. Every rifle is different, but IME, 90% of the time Sierra's are the most accurate hunting bullets. You may own the exception that prefers Noslers or Speers, or even inexpensive Remington C/L's, and only experimenting with a selection of them will tell you what you need to know.

There are no short cuts here, but sometimes you luck out and find an acceptable load on your first or second try.

Dit
07-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi
I want to say thanks and I will look into using the information and putting it to use. Kevin

GRW26
07-24-2008, 03:51 AM
I have been reloading for a while, 20 years, still newbie to some of the people in here. I would recommend buying a starter kit. My parents bought me the rock chucker kit (RCBS) 20 years ago and it is still going strong.

As for the 308, read, read a lot. Everyone will have a favorite powder/bullet combination. for me, BLC 2 and 4064 work well for me. You may want to read about compressed loads, a lot of powders for the 308 seem to require this, its a little scary to stuff a case full of powder! Again, reading.

As far as bullets, Hornady always seems to be the one my guns like the most. I would start there. I have killed a lot of whitetails with the 150 gr Hornady SP. It has always done a good job. Good luck and remember these guys can be a lot of help in here, just ask.

GW