PDA

View Full Version : A rebarrel job

7 MM
07-06-2008, 05:23 PM
I have an old 93/95 Mauser that the barrel is trash on.
I entend to rebarrel it and was thinking about return to original 7x57 but am open to sugestions.
Does anyone know of a competant gunsmith in the Riverside Ca area?
Any help will be greatly appreciated

7 MM

I will lite a candle and speak your name

versifier
07-06-2008, 11:25 PM
What are you going to use it for? 7x57 and 6.5Swede are both great rounds, but so are .358Win and .22-250. Hunting, target, cast bullets?

7 MM
07-07-2008, 12:22 AM
I want use it for cast boolits.
Ithink the barrel on it would survive with jacketed but is way too wasted for cast.
I have a lot of 7x57 brass so I kinda want to stay there

7 MM

versifier
07-07-2008, 01:07 PM
I have a beat-up old m95 in 7mm that I got for next to nothing in trade. It spews jacketed bullets all over the place. In fact, it shot the largest group I have ever fired at just under 4FEET for 5shots @ 100yds. I tried at least a dozen different bullets and five different powders, best group is around 3". I was about to rebarrel it, but I had a 7mm mould and figured I had nothing to lose by trying it. I cleaned the copper out and all the other fouling electronically and by hand all over again. With the second powder I tried, it fired the smallest cast group I have ever shot at just under an inch @ 100yds for 5shots. Moral: just because it looks bad inside, clean all the copper fouling out and give it a fair try.

That said, if you like 7x57 (what's not to like about it?), the rebarreling is easy enough to do. Midway sells pre-threaded short-chambered A&B barrels for m95's that only require a few passes with a finish reamer. Any decent gunsmith can do it in less than an hour's time. Midway also has online a list of gunsmiths you could check out.

7 MM
07-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks Versifier,
I will look at Hidway and see acout getting a new Barrel

7 MM

runfiverun
07-07-2008, 07:40 PM
those a&b bbls are 9 1/2 twist which is kinda quick for
h.v. with cast but at 1800 or so they are okay.
if you are gonna try for hv i would look for a slower twist bbl, or for a heavier mold to use like
the 162 gr's.