PDA

View Full Version : milsurp brass

7 MM
06-13-2008, 02:02 AM
I have been to several sites and read the reloading section.
In everyone the consensus is do not use milsurp brass!
I have been using it for more than 40 years and have never had a failure.
SO, any of you that have all that milsurp brass and want to give it away let me know as I will take it all and even pay the freight

7 MM

versifier
06-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Welcome, 7mm.

Brass is brass. Many prefer milsurp (especially American) brass because it is often thicker and lasts longer. Yes, you do have to ream or swage the primer crimp out of it, but that is a minor inconvenience, and it sometimes does not have quite the powder capacity (at least in .308 and -06) so you may have to back off the charge a bit. Like you, I have been using it for many years (now well over 30) without any problems I did not cause myself. The foreign stuff can be anywhere from very good to very bad and has to be evaluated from batch to batch, but you need to do that with commercial brass, too. Even the most trusted names come out with bad batches every now and then.

IMHO, I would tend to suspect the safety and competence of any advice I got from a site with such an ill-informed "consensus". Seems to me that whoever posts things like that is obviously either lazy, lacking real knowlege, or had a bad experience and blamed the components for his own incompetence. You can never take anything at face value on the net. Some sites are obviously better than others, like ours here at Gunloads and the Reload Bench where you can find real people who share what they know in a helpful and civil manner, but even here I always double check any posted data before considering using it. Life is too short to take unnecessary risks or to suffer fools.

Good luck in your search for brass.

runfiverun
06-14-2008, 02:37 AM
not use mili brass are you kidding.
i have seen some that is as good as any other [lapua included]
less powder for same velocities,lasts longer, and some is very consistent in it's thickness.
plus it is usually real cheap,or free. what's not to like, so you have to add 1 more step.

math
06-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi
A small question does us surplus ammo have berdan or boxer primers? I use alot of surplus 223 cases but only once becuse of the fuss and problems involved whit berdan primers. I live in Sweden and all our millitary ammo uses berdan primers

Best regards Math

versifier
06-22-2008, 01:32 AM
All US military ammo uses Boxer primers, and as far as I know, all US commercial ammo does, too. At least I have never seen any made here that used Berdan.

runfiverun
06-22-2008, 06:10 AM
the funny thing is that berdan priming was invented in america and the boxer primer was invented in europe.
and they basically standardized the reverse.