PDA

View Full Version : Noobys and Cleaning Systems

versifier
09-12-2017, 01:59 PM
At the private range the other day was a married couple practicing with their newish 9mm's. She was a natural, he had to get over too many years of 1911's (his death grip on the non-existent grip safety on the plastic grip was pulling all his shots low and left). I'll say this, he took the advice and applied it. His center of impact was finally getting close to his intended POA by the end of their session. She asked about how you figure elevation for longer shots, then started CONSISTENTLY hitting 4" and 6" gongs at 50yds on her FOURTH time shooting. He took it well. :)

But that is not the subject of this post.....

When they were done they ran a dry Bore Snake through both pistols and commented on how easy they make cleaning guns. I explained to them that the Bore Snake is a tool for field emergencies to clear obstructions like mud or snow. They both looked puzzled. Guess why? The salesman who sold them the pistols told them it was all they would ever have to do to keep their pistols squeaky clean (no mention of solvents or lubrication). As they followed with their owners manuals, I field stripped both pistols (a full sized H&K and a compact S&W Shield) and showed them how much crud a thousand rounds will produce in two new handguns despite many BoreSnakings. First dry patches to show them what the Bore Snake leaves behind in the grooves of the barrel got them wide-eyed. Then they got into brushes, patches, rods, tips, solvents and qtips with me and had a great time. Next, with them all cleaned and lubed they practiced assembly and disassembly of both pistols until they didn't need the diagrams and could do it easily. They left with a list of cleaning tools and supplies to buy, two very clean guns, and two new friends.

All in all a very good day.

Now if I can find a load to get the 6.5Jap to group under 3" (one powder down, dozens to go!).

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Mike in tx
09-16-2017, 04:59 PM
More competent shooters. Thank you