PDA

View Full Version : Resizing 380 ACP in 38 sp die?

SHOOTER IN EXILE
05-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I recently got a Walther PP in 380 ACP. I have the shell holder and a lot of 9mm 120 grain cast bullets. I don't have the reloading dies. I passed a couple of unprimed and no powder 380 shells in the 38 spl resizing die and seated the bullets to the apropriate length. They easily fit in the chamber. Would reloaded cartridges (with primer and powder) be safe to use in the pistol? and any suggestion on the powder charge? I only have bullseye and 800X.

versifier
05-17-2008, 05:49 PM
The right dies are inexpensive enough that there is no need to make do. The measurements are different enough that I would not use your current setup. A brand new set of Lee .380ACP carbide dies is a a very cheap life/health insurance payment.

I have good results with Unique in the .380.

SHOOTER IN EXILE
05-17-2008, 06:18 PM
The right dies are inexpensive enough that there is no need to make do. The measurements are different enough that I would not use your current setup. A brand new set of Lee .380ACP carbide dies is a a very cheap life/health insurance payment.

I have good results with Unique in the .380.

Versifier,
Thanks for your prompt answer. The problem is that where I live reloading equipments are very scarce or not available. I'll have to wait for my next trip to the USA.

runfiverun
05-17-2008, 08:10 PM
if they are gripping the bullets tight enough to not set back when chambering, iguess its o.k.
how are ya seating these?

SHOOTER IN EXILE
05-17-2008, 08:36 PM
if they are gripping the bullets tight enough to not set back when chambering, iguess its o.k.
how are ya seating these?
I seated the bullets to the OAL of factory cartridge length and it seems they won't go deeper and they stay firmly in place, maybe the bullet diameter makes it fit correctly. I wonder. Could You suggest bullseye or 800X load? I'm very careful and always go to the safer direction.

runfiverun
05-17-2008, 09:12 PM
the data i have stops at 100 gr with jacketed
with a cast where i would start with the 120gr b-eye3.0 and 800-x 3.5
the 100 gr loads max at 4.0 with 800-x and 3.3 with b-eye.
these loads are near 20,000psi.
it is your gun so be careful and go a t it slowly with the heavy boolit and small case.

klausg
05-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Shooter- I am firmly in versifier's camp on this one; I wouldn't try it. I'm not so sure I'd even want to try 120's in a .380, though I think you'll catch hell getting them to feed. I also think that by the time you got them to feed they would be seated so deep that your pressures would spike dramatically.
-Klaus