PDA

View Full Version : Nosler Ballistic Tips

Old Guy
04-29-2008, 02:07 AM
I have taken two critters using Ballistic Tips. The first was an Antelope at about 200 yds. with 150 gn. . 280 at about 2750 fps mv. Broadside shot and I spined it. It came in half when we cleaned it. The bullet didn't "fail", but jeez what a mess.

Since then I had read several times that Ballistic Tips in calibers above .30 were built a lot tougher. They shoot good on paper, so I thought I'd try them again.
This time I shot an Elk at 143 lasered yds with a 250 gn. BT. at about 2400 fps mv. from a 9.3 x 62 Mauser. Again a broadside shot about 3" behind his pointy little elbow. A 2 1/2" hole going in, shredded the heart, and exited like buck shot. This bullet really didn't "fail" either, because it killed the elk

I realize that this wasn't a thousand round case study, but it was enough to convince me that there are better bullets for big game.

versifier
04-29-2008, 04:28 PM
I agree. If I am going to hunt larger game with a Nosler bullet, it is a Partition I will load. Not always the most accurate bullet, but they were designed to fill freezers and perform on game, not to be match winners. The difference between a 2" and a 6" group at 200yds still makes meat. I hear no complaints from the freezer. With varmint bullets, it's up to the rifle as far as I'm concerned.

FWIW, I don't own a single rifle in which Sierra hunting bullets won't shoot significantly smaller groups than any of the other commercial offerings. GK's from .22 to .30cal have performed well on game from woodchucks (at very long ranges) up to moose (at reasonable ranges). I always try a good selection of different available brands and weights when I work up loads for a new rifle, and it's a rare one that doesn't prefer bullets in the green boxes. (Maybe three in the last hundred.)

runfiverun
04-29-2008, 11:07 PM
the ballistic tip is a good deer bullet, but as versifier said the sierra's are way more accurate.
and work about the same.
for elk i would use the partition.
for deer and cow elk i just use the hornady core-lokt nice through and through no drama.
and at 139 gr just right for the7x57 at 2750 that is what the wife likes
i shoot the ackley version and can go 3000 but run at 2850-2900 both chronoed
8' from the muzzle
two years ago the wife shot one deer in the cest straight on dropped it
instantly and the buck behind it went straight down also, with complete pass through.
made her and my reloads instant celebrity here in town for about a month.

kodiak1
04-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Nosler Ballistic Tips and Barnes Triple X is what I like. They are good bullets.
I have also stopped game with the Sierra Bullets and don't have a problem with them what so ever.
I am going to pay attention now and see if I see any difference in accuracy with the Sierra Bullets.
Ken.

C1PNR
04-30-2008, 02:30 AM
I use the Nosler 180 BT in my 300 Win Mag and it's killed everything I shot at, many DRT. Of course, the Speer 165 SPBT out of the '06 has killed just as well, and both rifles shoot into < 1" @ 100 (at least since I put a scope on the '06;-)).

My good friend killed a Bull Elk with his 7 Rem Mag using a Nosler Partition, 175 gr, I think. He was "very disappointed" with the results with that bullet when we did the "autopsy," despite the fact that the elk died so close to where it was standing when shot.

I don't know anything for sure, but I think I'm very satisfied with my loads. Maybe if I could do a 1,000 bullet test on game, I might change my mind.:coffee:

dale clawson
05-03-2008, 03:34 AM
+1 on Hornady core-locks, we took 20+ deer last fall with them with good results. Dale

jlb300
05-04-2008, 09:24 PM
I like Sierra

wiljen
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
In my 30-06 Vanguard the Speer 165 hotcor outshoots the sierra GKs by a good margin. Its all up to the gun. Kinda like arguing what tastes best, pretty subjective.

kodiak1
05-08-2008, 11:59 PM
wiljen I don't know of a 30-06 that doesn't just love some make of 165 GRN Bullets, they are the shtuff for them.
Ken.

Tom W.
05-28-2008, 01:33 AM
I shoot the150 gr. Ballistic Silvertips from my 7mm Rem mag, the last three shots at game resulted in three dead deer. I've also used the Sierra Gamekings, both the 140 gr. in the 7mm Rem Mag, and the 180 gr. from my 30/06 a.i.. I can't complain. It's placement......

05-28-2008, 02:07 AM
At high impact velocities into tough tissue or bone the BTs tend to blow into long shards. Those shards can radiate from zone of maximum dynamic pressure within wound channel at near 90' angles. That is actually nothing new! Been known to do that since the Nosler Solid Base came out a lotta years ago!!! (same bullet as the BT except for the plastic tip on the BT). Both the BT and Solid Base are nothing more than conventional cup core bullets with thick base cup and a semi boat tail. Will they kill stuff?- yes. Are they generally an accurate bullet?-yes. Are they the best bullet choice for serious hunting, expensive hunting trips, critters that deserve the best humane kill?- no IMO. Targets and small per caliber varmints?- fine. Penny wise, pound foolish. Can you take most any bullet and run it at high velocity out the end of a barrel and kill something?- yes.

Alvin in AZ
08-26-2008, 01:44 PM
"You can't have no idea how little I care"
...will prob'ly fit with this post real nice! :)

I've killed quite a few paper plates with Nosler 165 grain boattails...
The load second from the right...

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/reloads.jpg
(for a 1950's Win-94 30-30)

Once I get that load into the chamber there's only one easy way to get it out. LOL :)

The first load from the right is a 7mm Waters -reload- I found.

During those tests (killing those paper plates with my old 30-30) the magazine
and forearm etc was removed so it was as if the barrel was "free floated" and the
crazy old thing shot real good setup like that. So proceeded to figure out how to
get the magazine and forearm etc to not effect it so much after I put it back
together. :)

Alvin in AZ