PDA

View Full Version : S1000 data for 9mm Luger

klausg
04-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Hey guys,
Some time ago I came across a good deal on some Solo 1000 powder; it was older (labeled as Scot Powder Company), but the price was right so I bought all of it, 6lbs. I know that the newer stuff is now made by Accurate and have found quite a bit of data perusing their website; I really like the stuff in .45 ACP & .38 SPL. However, I can't find any 9mm data on their website. Does any one have any data for this stuff in a 9mm, I'd be loading a 124gr cast? I've got plenty of other powders to load with, but a) this stuff burns really clean, b) I've got a bunch of it, and c) my other handguns seem to like it alot. Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Klaus

kg42
04-05-2008, 06:19 PM
From an old Handloader Digest, Solo 1000 is "Similar to Hercules Bullseye for light pistol target shooting and to IMR 700X or PB for shotshells".

I've already used Bullseye data for little known powders in that burn rate range, simply doubling the starting load margin.
These very fast powders are anyway better suited for light/medium pressure target loads, specially in a temperamental caliber like the 9 luger. This is probably the reason why it is not listed for the 9 in my source either; too many reloaders want to squeeze too much from their components.

kg

klausg
04-07-2008, 08:03 PM
kg42-
You've hit on what I was thinking; depending on whose burn rate chart you look at, S1000 is either one or two steps slower than B-eye. Alliant's site lists 4.9 as a max load with a 125 gr lead bullet. I was thinking of starting at 3.5 and stepping up in 0.1 increments until I got the slide to work. What do you think, should I start lower?? Thanks

-Klaus

kg42
04-11-2008, 03:18 AM
That's about what I use with fast powders like 700X and Titegroup for my home cast 125 LRN (3.4gr).
It should be sweet and accurate; but without knowing the gun, just make a few at a time. I would probably start at 3.0gr.
What kind of cast and lube do you use?

klausg
04-11-2008, 02:50 PM
kg42-
It's a brand new gun, well new to me, a CZ75 SP01; also my first 9mm. So I haven't actually done anything with it yet, I ordered a RCBS 09-124-CN for a mold, that should show up soon. As to lube, I use Lar45's stuff; I've either got 2500 or BAC in the lubrisizer now. It's been too damn cold to cast (I use a Coleman on the tailgate, the joys of apartment living), so I am not exactly sure what lube is in there from last summer. Thanks for the input.
-Klaus

klausg
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
kg42-
Well, I finally got some bulets cast and loaded and then finally made it out to the range. you were correct; I made it up to 3.1 grains and started to get primer craters, so I think I'll go the other direction. The other possibility is that I'm seating too short; from my other forays with this powder I know that it is very volume sensitive. I'd like to figure this out, but my calipers are MIA.

-Klaus

runfiverun
05-05-2008, 06:12 PM
you're not loading those 124's to the 115 depth are you?
but if it is dependably feeding and working i would just drop back a couple of tenths
and maybe go with it.