PDA

View Full Version : Hornady bullets fouling

drklynoon
03-30-2008, 03:32 AM
I have been almost exclusivly using hornady bullets and have been having what I think is alot of jacket fouling. Has anyone else experieced these kinds of problems with hornady bullets. I am using these in all kinds of different guns with all kinds of different loads most of them on the lighter side but I can't seem to shake this fouling. I think it's the bullets anyone else have another idea?

runfiverun
03-30-2008, 07:50 PM
as hornadys usualy have a shorter bearing area than other makes
i can usually seat them out a bit further, if your fouling is in the throat area i would try
moving your bullet out a bit, if you are having fouling further down
the bbl, you may have a rough bbl.

since you almost exclusively use hornadys and your bbl is rough yo will
see the hornadys fouling the bbl
if you were using mostly speers, would you see the same problem?

drklynoon
03-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks run I don't think the bore is the problem here I am having jacket fouling in a M77 ruger with a perfect bore. The fouling is going all the way out to the muzzle. On my mauser I'm using a RN and am seating the bullets out as far as I can to make up for a decent amount of free bore so if it was fouling the throat I'd understand but like I said this is complete fouling all the way down the barrel. And this is from only shooting twenty rounds after a good thourough cleaning.

Hunter
03-31-2008, 04:48 AM
I use Hornady almost always in my AR15 and a few other 30 caliber rifles and I have not had any fouling troubles.

drklynoon
03-31-2008, 05:05 AM
Hmm thanks thats what I was hopeing to hear. I still don't know why I'm having this trouble but it's good to rule things out that at least gets me closer to the culprit.

versifier
03-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Just a thought....
Are you using a bronze or a nylon brush to scrub your bore with copper solvent?

drklynoon
03-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Bronze and after I think I'm done cleaning I look down the bore and it'sspotless then I take a flash light and look down the muzzle and egad Copper copper everywhere.

versifier
03-31-2008, 10:23 PM
There's a good chance the copper is not coming from the bullets. I think the problem is that the solvent is dissolving copper from the bronze of your bore brush. Switch to a nylon brush and see if that doesn't cure the problem. Bronze brushes are for powder fouling.

runfiverun
04-01-2008, 03:04 AM
on the bottles of copper cleaner i have, had to go look shoot so much lead i wasn't
sure where my copper cleaner was.
they say not to use a bronze or copper brush.

Miner
04-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I have had copper fouling from the XTP/MAG bullets. The XTP/MAGs have harder cores and heavier jackets that don't seem to give as much and leave more copper.