PDA

View Full Version : Hercules powder

drklynoon
03-30-2008, 03:28 AM
I have some left over unique that was made by hercules that I'm using I was wondering if anyone had any problems from hercules powders right before they sold out. The reason I'm asking is because I have heard that they let there quality control slip a bit before they shut down and I was wondering if anyone has had first hand experience with this.

runfiverun
03-30-2008, 07:44 PM
the old unique had a long time reputation for leaving cases sooty
the new unique is supposed to be cleaner but i have not seen a " huge improvement"
if any thing the burn rate might be a bit on the faster side, don't look for it to change
on any burn rate charts though.

drklynoon
03-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Hmm yeah I looked at some older manuals and saw there was some difference between the old and new as far as burn rate. What I was wondering is if anyone has problems with the old powder being inconsistent. This stuff smells fine it just doesn't seem to be very consistent with it's pressure. I'm a pretty big stikler on my loads everyone gets weighed and I don't mix match primers so I'm leaning towards the powder being the culprit.

runfiverun
03-31-2008, 03:03 AM
you aren't mixing your cases, or shooting it at the low end are you?
if the powder is the original herculese, its what then near 30 years old?
if you aren't sure and think it is degrading i would fertilize the roses with it.
a whole 8 lb jug was about 90.00 last time i checked
and a new 92 is like 600.00.

drklynoon
03-31-2008, 03:43 AM
Na it's only like ten years old or so. I am shooting near the starting loads though. I'm trying a new batch of powder in the rounds I just loaded to see if thats the problem.