PDA

View Full Version : .257 roberts 93 Mauser

drklynoon
03-30-2008, 03:21 AM
I'm in the process of sporterizing a 93 mauser. The barrel is trash it has been cut down and someone shot corrosive in it and let it sit so I'm going to make it into a .257 roberts. I have recently purchased a bolt that was bent in a way that I liked but it is really rough and I've got some work to do on it. I'm wondering if any of you guys have done this conversion yourself or if you have any advise. I'll keep you updated on my progress. I don't have bags O' cash so progress is slow.

runfiverun
04-01-2008, 08:21 PM
midway has adams and bennet short chambered bbl's
for a reasonable price.

Rayber
04-02-2008, 02:26 AM
There are several great machinists on the Cast Boolit forum and on this forum. I bet you can get a lot of questions answered here.
There's what I think is a good re-barreling section in in"The Gun Digest Book of Riflesmithing"

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-5169275-6939005?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=The+Gun+Digest+Book+of+Riflesmithing&x=11&y=20

I have a M98 that I may also re-barrel in the 257 Roberts.

Is that 7mm barrel totaled it's full length. I'm working on a couple wildcats and could use a short length of 7mm barrel if it's not corroded to the muzzle. In fact I could use a 6"- 8" (any) length of any caliber smaller then .400".

badgeredd
04-03-2008, 01:02 AM
I suggest that you post this same message on the Cast Boolits forum in the military rifles or gunsmithing sections. There are several gunsmith types as well as machinists there that'll be very helpful. One thing I'd suggest that you do would be to get a good book on sporterizing Mauser actions if you haven't already. Also I've built several rifles based on 93, 95. 96, and 98 actions and the first thing you should do is have the bolt lugs Rockwelled for hardness at the nearest machine shop. Depending on who made the action, the hardness can go from very soft to very hard. Assuming the hardness is ok, I'd then lap the locking lugs before fitting a barrel or headspacing. DO invest in at least a "GO" gage to be sure the headspace is as perfect as you are capable of getting it. Have fun, it can get addicting building your own rifles! Feel free to PM me on Cast Boolits if you'd like. I don't get over here much.

Darreld Walton
04-22-2008, 11:53 AM
would suggest that if you're going to have a .257 Roberts, you use a decent 98 or Springfield to start with!
The Adams & Bennet barrels that Midway advertises for this action is out of stock, has been for a long time, and has a long wait...AND...they're only 21" long. The Roberts can use 24" effectively, and they have the longer barrels available for the large ring actions.
I had one of these actions barreled as a first rifle for my oldest son. It didn't take long to tire of using the low-performance, non-+P ammunition in the thing, and wanted to boost the load up to where it should've been all along.
Not wanting to spark a controversy, you could probably use that '93 for the rest of your life and not have a problem with it. Mostly for ease of obtaining parts, accessories, and finding someone willing to work on it, I suggest the 'better' actions. If you've got scads of time, and willing/capable of doing the work yourself, then by all means have a ball......

Doug Bowser
11-02-2008, 06:18 AM
I would not re-barrel the 93 Mauser to .257 Roberts or .250-3000 Savage. I would re-barrel it in 7x57mm. There is nothing wrong with the 7mm Mauser.

atr
01-10-2009, 02:02 AM
I shoot both 257 Roberts and the 7x57 Mauser. If I had to choose only one then I would go with the 7x57. The 257 Roberts won't take down Elk (or bear) like the 7x57 will.