PDA

View Full Version : Does this make me a hoarder?

BBerguson
03-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Last year, when I was running out of powder, I put in an order for 16 pounds of Alliant E3. Today I got a call that it's in and I'm going to buy it. I don't really need it right now but jeepers, I hate the thought of ordering something and then sticking the guy with it. I'm pretty sure he'd sit on shotgun powder for a long long time... :-). So, does this make me a hoarder?

BB

versifier
03-04-2015, 12:24 AM
No, it makes you prudent in unsettled times like these. And if I owned the business, I wouldn't forget it either way. Much better to be remembered positively. Now, if you didn't load shotgun or handgun rounds (can you use E3 in handguns?) and just bought it "to have it", THAT would make you a hoarder.

BBerguson
03-04-2015, 01:46 AM
It's for my boy, he's the sporting clays shooter. Now I need another 10k shotgun primers and about 20 bags of shot...

BB

Clayt
03-04-2015, 12:41 PM
You'll need 25 bags of shot, 25 3/4 lbs of powder to match your 10K primers if you're loading 18gr to push 1 oz loads!

Amateur hoarder!

kodiak1
03-05-2015, 12:21 AM
Don't see no hoarding there at all. I see a very shrewd business man at work.

Kirbydoc
03-05-2015, 11:40 PM
I as a business man would deeply appreciate you keeping your promise.

Hellrazor
03-06-2015, 12:42 AM
Just go pick it up. The next thing dumbama does will just get everyone excited again and you will be set.

BBerguson
03-06-2015, 02:28 AM
I picked it up and it is now located safely at home! I have some shot already Clayt and picked up,another 50 lbs today of 8.5. Tried to pick up some Red Dot for a member of the club but they didn't get enough in to fill the back orders they had. Pays to get on a list and I'm sure it paid to get a powder that was new enough to not be on everyone's radar like Clays or Red Dot. I have yet to hear of anyone else loading with Alliant E3.

BB

noylj
03-25-2015, 04:50 AM
E3 is a very good "fast" powder for std. .45 Auto/.38 Spl and action pistol shooting. The only problem is working up loads for an "unknown" powder. One might even call Alliant and see if they have data.

BBerguson
03-30-2015, 02:46 AM
I have plenty of loading data for it in my Lyman Shotshell manual. This won't ever see a pistol round, shotgun only!

BB

versifier
03-30-2015, 02:27 PM
It seems foolish that there isn't handgun data for it yet like other similar powders. Am I right in thinking that it's pretty close to Unique in burning rate? It's too new for it to be on any of the burning rate charts I have here. It would be nice for folks to have the option to try it if/when things get tight again with the more popular powders. Not everyone has experience working "off the edge of the map" with surp powders, and even for those who do, itty bitty handgun cases require an extreme level of caution. The surps I use in my .45's and .38's have properties close enough to commercial canister powders so there is a safe place to start with them. I think Alliant's marketing department dropped the ball on this one. Maybe Sierra has some usable data.

BBerguson
04-03-2015, 02:53 AM
Actually, I think it's more in the Bullseye range. Definitely much faster than Unique.

BB

SkyKid
04-05-2015, 02:34 AM
BBerguson
Don't listen to these guys
You are a hoarder:p

BBerguson
04-05-2015, 02:45 AM
Thanks Mark! Those other guys don't know nothing! :-)

BB