PDA

View Full Version : Black powder

BBerguson
12-07-2014, 02:24 AM
I stopped at Gander Mountain yesterday to get some black powder. Whew, 25 bucks a pound! Got one fffg and one ffffg which was all I could afford at the time. The ffffg will last a long time though so next time I'll get just fffg.

Wanted my son to handle a Franchi ou but they didn't have any. No good deals on ammo either.

Dicks Sporting Goods oth, had Winchester AA for $7 a box! Awesome price but I'm well stocked so I didn't buy any.

BB

Hellrazor
12-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Everything is getting expensive. The BP alternatives are even worse.

Mike in tx
12-07-2014, 09:46 PM
A cousin of mine in Vermont, as a youngster, used to make his own PB using the dry method. One of his neighbors even thought that a metorite had fallen though his barn roof while milking.

BBerguson
12-08-2014, 02:05 AM
It can't be that hard to make... I wonder if it's worth trying?

BB

Kirbydoc
12-08-2014, 04:32 AM
BB, Just remember to RESPECT that stuff. And do NOT try to pulverize it after it is mixed. BP can get ugly with you very quickly.
:!:

versifier
12-08-2014, 03:08 PM
It isn't that hard to make. It isn't worth trying. Mostly you just create a horrible stench. (If you hate your downwind neighbors then just smelt some wheel weights, it's way much safer and equally effective.) The hard part is getting two batches consistent while keeping in mind the constant danger when handling it. As teens, we did not fire the results in a m/l but it sure went FOOM!!! when we touched a 1/2lb. of it off. I don't think it's worth the risk to try it a second time. If SHTF, then I will be smarter to spend my time making arrows and whiskey.

Hellrazor
12-08-2014, 10:54 PM
Not worth the danger involved.

I know someone who bit the dust screwing with unstable black powder. BP from a old metal keg of powder ignited/detonated while they were trying to pour it out. Killed the owner of the gunshop (after a week in UPMC burn center) due to inhaling the superheated gas and it blew the door off the shop and hit a guy in the head as he was entering the shop. Burned the place to the ground.

No real cause was determined but info from the 2nd person indicated he was pouring the BP into a plastic trash can. Plastic trash cans are know for static...

All that because dumbass wanted the empty antique metal keg.

Clayt
12-09-2014, 12:44 AM
I watched someone pour out old powder from a container and it ignited when it hit the bottom of the barrel. He burned his hair pretty bad and managed not to inhale while it happened.

BBerguson
12-09-2014, 02:08 AM
Well, that's why I asked you guys! I knew I'd get the good bad and ugly! No, I'm not going to try it, I read a little bit about it because I just didn't know but you guys told me what I really need to know.

Thanks!

BB

Kirbydoc
12-16-2014, 02:09 AM
Hellrazor, I read about that when it happened.