PDA

View Full Version : 40-65 WCF loads?

badgeredd
02-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Just found this site, kinda by accident. Anyone have some reloading info for the 40-65 WCF with cast bullets? GC or plain base will work. I have started working up loads with a 260 gr round nose flat tip bullet using IMR 4198 for my Sharps replica gun. I started with a load of 23 gr. and have arrived at a final load of 31 grains. Extraction is sticky above 31 grains. Also wondering about just how fast I can push a plain base bullet and if a wad would help. Since I found the starting load in my Cartridge Conversions book, I have looked for more loads with a slower powder but to no avail. Any suggestions or help would be seriouslt appreciated.

testhop
02-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Just found this site, kinda by accident. Anyone have some reloading info for the 40-65 WCF with cast bullets? GC or plain base will work. I have started working up loads with a 260 gr round nose flat tip bullet using IMR 4198 for my Sharps replica gun. I started with a load of 23 gr. and have arrived at a final load of 31 grains. Extraction is sticky above 31 grains. Also wondering about just how fast I can push a plain base bullet and if a wad would help. Since I found the starting load in my Cartridge Conversions book, I have looked for more loads with a slower powder but to no avail. Any suggestions or help would be seriouslt appreciated.

here is what i got it is right out of the loading books as i dont have a 40-65
theIMR 2007 SMOKELESS POWDER RELOADERS GUIDE =ON PAGE 28 AS STARTING
LOAD11 gr trail boss for889 fps with a 400 gr lrnfp maxof 12 gr at 915 fps

the lyman#48 reloading handbook has on page 281
thay have a 410660 cast bollit at 385gr starting load 21.54198 at 1271 fps
&11800 presure
the lyman has 3 differnt cast loads a 385 ,2 400s
the moulds are 410660 410665 .,and410663
LYMAN SHOWS NO J-WORD
I GUESS THAY THING IF YOU ARE SMART ENOUGHT TO USE A 4065 YOU KNOW TO USE CAST HOPE THIS HELPS

TOM :coffee: [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

testhop
02-24-2008, 07:39 PM

testhop again
the lyman book has loads for 40-65 with 4895,3031 varget if you can look at a #48 if not p.m me or e-mail and tell me what you need andi will get it to you from my copy but 4895 looks the best

tom:coffee: [smilie=w: [smilie=w: [smilie=w:

badgeredd
03-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. I bought some cast 260 gr. boolits to try out on the local deer populations. worked up a load that works but I kinda hoped there were others out there that were crazy enough to play with the cartridge. Looks like I need to get a Lyman reloading book really soon. Haven't loaded cast projectiles in the past in a rifle cartridge so I am getting into a whole new area. Plenty of books but I have learned that people who have done this seriously have a lot more info and some really good tips to share. Thanks again.:-D

Also decided to try some cast boolits with GCs in my home built 98 Mauser that I chambered for 375 Winchester; anyone have some loads? BTW I'm using 250 gr FTRN boolits from a commercial source. Just got the mold to cast my own!