PDA

View Full Version : 450 loads for 360 grain cast bullits in marlin 1895g

fifty 4
10-02-2014, 09:42 PM
can any one give me a good load for a 360 grain cast bullit in 450 marlin. middle load would be great to work with

versifier
10-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Welcome to The Guide.

What manuals do you have?

350gr jacketed data will work, Lee and Lyman both have it listed, Lyman gives you more powder choices and wider charge range. IMR 3031 goes from START at 49.5gr @ 1791fps to MAX at 55.0gr @ 2035fps. Begin at 49.5gr and go from there. Only your rifle can tell you what you want to know, and the only safe way is to work the load up in increasing increments of a grain or so to see where or if the groups tighten up with the powder - that will give you five or six steps on a test ladder.

fifty 4
10-02-2014, 10:24 PM
I have 8 or 10 manuals plus most from the powder companies lost all my old data in house fire. just looking for good all around load.thanks . im not very good with computers ,I work horses and mules. ps thay kick just as hard

versifier
10-03-2014, 12:25 AM
Just being careful. 3031 may or may not be the rifle's absolute favorite, but it ought to give you a workable load. When it's listed in the loading data, I will usually start with it as it works acceptably in every medium capacity case I have tried it in. Not always the fastest or the most accurate in any given rifle, but always dependable. The cast bullets will give you a bit more velocity and a tad bit lower pressure compared to a similar weight jacketed. I don't know about the recoil. My bro has a .444. I don't shoot it, I just load for it, and that rarely as he doesn't shoot it very often either. :mrgreen: