PDA

View Full Version : Even newer reloader looking for advice

pinne65
02-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi,

I want to start reloading. But I pretty much don't know anything about it. Steps involved, equipment needed, ...

Since you guys seem to be a knowledgeable bunch, wouldn't this be a good place for that?

Or at least to have references to litterature and instructional videos.

Can anyone recommend a good video or book on this?

Thanks a whole bunch!

versifier
02-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Welcome pinne65.

The place to start is with a good loading manual....or two....or better yet three. I would suggest that you start with the Sierra manual, which has a really good section on reloading procedures and tools, though ones from any of the bullet/tool makers will have plenty of information: Lyman, Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Lee. Your first stop should probably be a place like Midway.

http://midwayusa.com

They have a good selection of books, manuals, DVD's, videos, etc. with customer ratings for each.

I suggest you start out with a single stage press - it will keep things relatively simple until you can figure out what kind of volume you are going to be loading. Site searches here on the three Gunloads forums should net you a wealth of information and experienced opinions. When that gets you thoroughly confused :) come back with specific questions and we'll do our best to answer them. The only stupid question is the one you are too proud to ask. None of this is rocket science, but there is a LOT of information to be digested, so don't be in a hurry.

kg42
02-05-2008, 10:07 PM
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html for vids,
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/instruct/index.html for pictorials.

pinne65
02-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Yup,

Got myself a manual, Lyman's 48th edition. It seems to have some 130 pages with general reloading info.

I'll be back!

testhop
02-22-2008, 01:35 AM
also good ones are sierras reloading manual and hornady handbook of cartridge reloading and any other ones you can get your hands on old or new you can learn from each

OH YES WELCOME ABOARD

jlb300
03-08-2008, 01:13 PM
You are about to embark on a long and wonderful journey. Learn as much as you can and always try to learn more. It is a satisfying expierence, the sucess of firing a load that you put together on your own. You will find most people that reload are willing to share their expierence with you and when you become proficient that you will share with others. The internet is full of info that you can gather to build your data base as well. Like versifier said get a book (manual) and read it. Always keep it near for reference.

pinne65
03-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I am confused,

I'm looking at reloading data from different manuals. Same weight bullets have totally different min and max loads.
For instance with a Speer cast bullet, 45 L-SWC with Alliant Unique powder, min load 8.6 grains and max load is 9.5 grains. Muzzle velocity 891-941 fps. With a Hornandy bullet 45200 HP-XTP min is 6.2 and max is 7.1. Velocity 600-800 fps. Also with the Unique powder. Both bullets are 250 grains.

How can the min/max loads be so different?

Thanks for any info!

drklynoon
03-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Well those bullets are the same weight but they are not the same bullet. One reason for this is case capacity how much of the bullet is inside the case taking up space. Another thing is what kind of case are each manual using all cases have differnet capacitys. Also different primers can make a difference. There alot of thing that go into a loading recipe so you have to look at each component. Sometimes you also run into different reloading manuals will give fifferent pressure limits due to what guns have been chambered in that caliber. If you can't find the exact bullet that you are using then get as close as you can I would not recommend using cast bullet loads for jacketed bullets. Some reloading data will not be much different between the two some will be alot different. Be careful and use sense and I'm sure you'll be fine.

runfiverun
03-30-2008, 07:55 PM
the lead boolit is slicker then the jacketed, it is also more maleable
if you look again i would bet that those two loads are almost identical in pressure