PDA

View Full Version : Barnes XPB Bullets

Fat1Bear
01-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Does anyone have any experience with loading Barnes XPB 225 gr. for the 44 Mag?
I have received reloading data from Barnes but it does not seem their loads are quite right. I have reloaded jacketed 225 gr. bullets for years and their info does not even come close to loads I've worked up over the years. Would an all copper bullet be that much different to load than a jacketed bullet?

versifier
01-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, they are that much different to load than either jacketed or cast. (For that matter, there can be a really big difference in jacketed vs. cast data, too.) It might seem a little strange at first, but they have gone to great pains to work up the data. I have loaded several their rifle bullets in different calibers, and you can't use jacketed data for them either without getting into trouble. They sure do perform impressively on game, but they're way too expensive for me to want to shoot them regularly whan I can cast for about $.03 per bullet.

Liberty
01-27-2008, 03:19 AM
Has anyone reloaded brass 410 casings for the S&W 460 ?

bobthenailer
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
i have used the xpb 260 gr in my 454 casulls and the 260gr xpb is longer than any 300 grain bullet i have and i have 5 different brands, and 1 cast bullet, therefore taking up more powder space than the convential bullet , so the powder charge will be reduced but you still get decent velocties , just less but the bullet performace is outstanding even with the smaller charge weight. out of my 6 inch gun i get 1690 fps from i think 28 gr 0f lil gun, i went to 30 but hardly gained much more velocity and the group opened up. bob

runfiverun
01-28-2008, 09:29 PM
so you would be cutting these casings to the same length as the 460
and possibly inside neck turning to get the bullet to fit
then using shotgun primers
with thier larger holes in the case you would increase pressures
on the primer face
all for a load that would approximate a light 45 colt load.

if you do try it please post any findings on the board as it would be at least interesting

runfiverun