PDA

View Full Version : Winchester WSM Cases

rk4570
01-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Due to a recent shoulder operation, I am looking for a a new rifle with low recoil for cast bullets.

Since I am looking for a new rifle I was wondering if there is any advantage in using the WSM short fat case & short action.

Also what cal. would be good. I think anything below 30-30 would be ok but I have heard that the smaller bullets are much harder to cast.
Thanks for your help! :-D

versifier
01-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Welcome rk4570. It depends on what you want to use it for, target or hunting. The .30-30 is one of the most cast-friendly rounds out there and there is an impressive selection of moulds available from around 80-250gr, depending on the barrel's preferences. A nice 150gr is easy on the shoulder and both accurate and reliable on game. You can find .30-30's with levers, bolts, and in single shots, whatever you like best. It will do both target and field work from varmints to deer.

I'd be doing some healing before I considered any of the WSM's after surgery. By that point you'll be having so much fun trying different .30cal moulds that it will be a moot point.

Smaller bullets are not really more difficult to cast as long as alloy and mould are both running at the right temperatures. My reject rates are comparable to those of their larger cousins. They are limited to varmints for hunting, but are great fun on the range.

wiljen
01-23-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm gonna have to second versi's advice. Cast boolits are not particularly well suited to any Overbore case. Any of these overbore cases can be difficult to find a good powder with casts because of all the empty space left ahead of the charge and remember as you add powder you add recoil - something you are trying to avoid.

For example - the 30-30 can be loaded with 150gr bullet and 11gr of unique for about 1650 fps. To get that same velocity out of a 300 Mag using the same boolit will take 18-19 gr of Unique.

Using the 35 Remington you can launch a 150gr bullet using 13gr of Unique and get 1850fps. Same load in a WSM case is going to take about 21gr of unique to reach that velocity.

I would look for a small volume case that you can fill nearly completely, then look for readily available components for it. I'd think 30-30, 35 Remington, 7.62x39, or the 30-40 Krag should give you a good cast launcher that is also a very capable deer gun. All will burn less powder than the WSM counterparts and take it easier on your shoulder too.