PDA

View Full Version : bullet lube

gunpower
01-05-2008, 08:03 PM
What to use; store bought lube or pure bees wax.
Years ago a old timer uused pure bees wax, but since he is long gone to a better shooting world I have not seen or heard of any body using bees wax for hand gun loads. Do I or Do I not use bees wax, thats the question?:neutral:

kg42
01-06-2008, 03:22 AM
How are you going to apply that lube? Sizer, pan, hand? The composition will affect your ...errr... enjoyment of the method.

Beeswax works, but is hard and brittle; it should be pretty expensive now with the bees' troubles. If you've got some at hand, mix it with Toilet Bowl Wax, LEE's Liquid Alox etc....

Tom W.
01-06-2008, 04:06 AM
I've used it for years, or at least until I bought a lubrisizer. I pan lubed a batch of bullets and ran them through a Lee sizer. They looked OK and shot just fine.

I came by a LOT of bees wax when my boys found an old bee tree and robbed it. I had to melt it all down and strain it to get out the debris, dead bees and whatever, but I got two 3 lb. coffee cans full. I also learned not to melt beeswax down and pour it into coffee cans. It's a bit messy to retrieve.

I have taken most of the remainder and mixed it with a few candles and some olive oil and made some sticks from a mold that I found the instructions on how to make on the cast bullet forum.. I think. It still works well through the lubrisizer with some heat. I do believe that I'll just but some Carnauba Red from Lars when I need some more lube.