PDA

View Full Version : bluedot and 358429

philswill
01-02-2008, 03:56 PM
I am new to this forum and very interested in finding a bluedot load for a ,358429 in .38 cases that is less than 30,000 cup...+p+. Thank you.

versifier
01-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Welcome to the forum.

My Sierra manual lists 170 Jacketed loads for BDOT in .38spec cases between 6.9 and 7.7gr Max. It does not list pressures, but they will be lower with boolits.

I would be looking at UNQ and 2400 for heavy bullets in the .38 spec for two reasons. First, BDOT is a great performer for higher pressure loads. I use it for 158-180gr loads in my .357mag Contender, but those loads are way too hot for any revolver and are only used in summer and fall. IME, I have had inconsistant performance and poor accuracy from it in milder loads in both .38spec and .357mag, even with magnum primers. Second, it is both position and temperature sensitive, especially with lighter charges. In cold weather, pressures and velocities can vary greatly from round to round, and even in warm weather, you have to point the muzzle up before each shot to get consistant POI at 75-100yds.

If I were you, I would use it in loads for another gun, or trade it to someone who can use it for a more appropriate powder. I tested it out to see what it would do, there's no harm in you experimenting when you know what to watch out for, just don't get all psyched up for tight groups. But you never know.... you might get lucky and your revolver may love it.

philswill
01-03-2008, 03:02 PM
I loaded some .357 cases with 9.2 grs. or bdot and crimped beyond the crimp groove to get them to fit in my cylinded chambers Nice clean accurate loads with a thump, but sometimes a bullet wanted to walk because of the crimping location. I want to translate that load to a .38 case, or maybe slightly milder, so that I can use the crimp groove.

versifier
01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Yes, that's a good hot load for a .357 revolver. Out of mine it patterned like a shotgun. Even my Contender didn't like it until I got up above 10gr. That's why I suggested Unique, it works great for mid-level loads. Maybe you have a revolver that likes BDOT best. Stranger things have happened, every one is different. You have nothing to lose by trying out the listed loads - just remember that BDOT is very position sensitive and to tip up the muzzle before firing to get all the powder to the back of the case. It is a pain when you can't properly crimp (or forget to do it) and it locks up the revolver when the bullets walk out. I probably added my share of new words to the language and entertained family and friends learning the ins and outs of crimping revolver loads.

philswill
01-05-2008, 12:09 AM
I have never had that kind of trouble with bdot, but have just recently used it as a low pressure load in my '73 copy and it is filthy. Someone suggested that alliants bdot would be cleaner burning than the hercules that I had used. I have had good luck with it in 9X19s and .357s, that is why I had hoped to come up with a 30000cup or so load in a .38 case. I appreciate your input versifier, thank you.

kg42
01-06-2008, 03:51 AM
I loaded some .357 cases with 9.2 grs. or bdot and crimped beyond the crimp groove to get them to fit in my cylinded chambers Nice clean accurate loads with a thump, but sometimes a bullet wanted to walk because of the crimping location. I want to translate that load to a .38 case, or maybe slightly milder, so that I can use the crimp groove.

When I had a GP100, I shot many 357 LSW with a light crimp on the front band, rather than the crimp groove, and never had a problem.
It looks like you have a case neck tension problem rather than a crimp problem. The big '429 has a square front band to grab on and should seat tight in the case with three driving bands.
Have you tried unsized bullets?

For the load in 38 cases, Mike Venturino wrote an article on the 38-44 in a recent HandloaderMag ( http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl249partial.pdf ). I would trust his judgment more than what was written last winter in the same publication, but I am not sure he included pressure data.
This might be the data from his article, but as it is not dated... : http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_detail.cfm?metallicid=1897 and you'll have to pay for it as I missed it (feel free to loose it my way afterwards :mrgreen:...).
Again in that GP100, half of my shooting was done with +P+ loads in 38 cases with a light crimp; no problem there but no experience with BlueDot... Only "mag" powders and Unique equivalents.

philswill
01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks KG, I bet I can get a copy of the oct nov handloader somewhere. I haven't crimped over the front band of the bullet because it looks...uhm...uh...ahh..ugly. Another problem is the fact that I am firing a heavy bullet in a light .357 (S&W modedl 60) however I do appreciate the handloader info, youre a prince. By the way the brass was new. Thanks again.